Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

"Now That's What I Call a Cup of Tea" by Elise B




            I have always been ambitious. Some may call me a dreamer while others may simply call me crazy. Whatever the title, I have chosen to live a life without boundaries in hopes that one day I will have a positive impact in this world. One of my many life goals is to open a nonprofit organization focused on helping women in third world countries to overcome poverty.
            Kind of crazy huh? If you are wondering why I have such a strong passion to help others that I may never meet, you would not be the first. I have gotten countless questions, sideways stares, and the infamous judgmental head-nods when I have explained my aspirations to adults and my peers.
            However, contrary to popular belief, I am inspired by my family that came before me and their stories. Growing up, I was always reminded of the many blessings and to never turn my back on my heritage. My family is from Belize (don’t feel bad if you have never heard of it). The home of my heritage is a small third world country with the population of Fontana and Rancho Cucamonga combined and can be traversed with a four hour car ride. While my humble beginnings may seem uncomfortably small, I am proud to call myself an American-Belizean. My family and their stories inspire me to work harder and dream bigger. My abuela (grandmother) for instance, has always been a great story teller and also a source of inspiration to me. We would talk for hours and simply discuss the idiosyncrasies of life, dreams, and her life.
            It’s a rainy Sunday afternoon as I sit with my abuela on the porch sipping cinnamon tea with freshly baked ‘powder buns’. My abuela, with her leathery lips and aged eyelids stares out into the pouring rain that stirs memories of days spent in the sugar cane fields of Belize. I listen intently as I know that every word is pure wisdom.
            She reminisces “The rain was pouring down in sheets and I didn’t have time to get to the hato (makeshift hut). Before I knew it I was face down in the mud again in the middle of the field and paralyzed in fear that your grandfather would see me. Two workers were sick and no replacements were available. Fire from the neighbor’s crop had spread to our field and burned our cane prematurely. If we couldn’t get this crop harvested on time, a year of hard work would be lost.
            With eight kids to feed, and six workers with families, losing our crop was not optional. To salvage our field your grandfather and I had to jump in and help. The rain prevented any work the rest of the day, it was only 2:00pm. We all piled up in the Land Rover, eight of us, wet, dirty with soot, 5 seats. The potholes from the unpaved roads made the ride home seem like an eternity.
            As we neared home we could see silhouettes of little children waiting at the window. They knew the extent of dad’s exhaustion very well and they gathered around to help him take off his rubber boots and wet socks. His contribution to this process: lying in utter defeat on a wooden chair.  
            Next was helping my eldest daughter finish the black beans, tortillas and ‘habanero machucado’ (pepper sauce) for dinner. As we worked, I thought about how a worker would tell him about how they had to retrieve me from the mud once again. The fact that a woman’s help was needed to get the job done had demolished his ego and pride. The next day I had to plea to be allowed to join them at the fields again. Begging was a small price to pay to ensure we met my oldest son’s high school tuition so that he might have a chance at an office job.
            From the kitchen, I heard grandpa get up and run to his friend’s knocking at the door. They were off again to drink the little money we had for food. I said a prayer in my head and hoped that he would remember the talk we had and come home after only one drink.”
            One thing that my grandmother and I have in common is our determination to succeed despite the doubt of others. My grandmother worked her hardest with the supplies she was given and never ceased to amaze me with her strength. At age sixty, my grandmother earned her GED. I am proud to say that this year, I will add my name to the short list of people in my family that will graduate high school and pursue a higher education.
            Hard work is engrained in my soul. Despite the doubt in people’s eyes, I am determined to succeed in helping people and making this world a better place. My life will not be defined by the boundaries set by the generations before me, but rather by my vision for a better world.

15 comments:

samantha Quintanilla said...

This was very captivating to read, it really kept me interested. The story of your family and the narrative you abuela told was a great way to depict the reality your family has gone through and lets us see why you are so determined. I have always thought that you contribute a lot to our class discussions and say very insightful comments when we have Socratic seminars and i can see that it comes from you listening to your abuela which is very endearing. Im really happy i read your piece it is really good.

Anonymous said...

Hey Elise! First of all, I like that pun that you put for the title, “Now That's What I Call A Cup Of Tea” because when your grandmother was telling this story, you two were drinking cinnamon tea, and you also want to help others (which is your cup of tea, similar to the idiom). Anyway, I feel that all grandmothers are wise and that the hardworking hands of your grandmother had definitely gotten passed down to you. You, like your grandmother, are one of the most diligent people I have ever met and it’s amazing that you were inspired by an amazing woman- your grandmother! By the way, you are not crazy, despite what other people tell you. You are great, hard working, and passionate about making an impact in this world. And I think those are great qualities. So, keep up the great work!
Kimberly Chua
Period 2

Unknown said...

Awwwww Burgi, I love this. I love all of the little details you included to keep the reader interested. I like that you incorporated the story from your abuela and how your family history has contributed to your work ethic. Great job Elise!
-Emily French, Period 5

Unknown said...

Hey girl! I really enjoyed this piece as I do any other paper you write.
Just by reading this, I can feel your passion and envision your vision about making a positive impact in this big world because I know how hard of a worker you are. The backstory of your family and abuela really set in place the mood and feel of your piece. I love how insightful, passionate, and diligent you are too. I know you're going to fulfill your goals and I can't wait until the day you do. Amazing piece, Elise.

Unknown said...

ElISE! This is such a great piece, I absolutely loved it. I love how descriptive and detailed the story is, I couldn't stop reading it. You are one of the most hard working and deserving individuals I know and I can not wait to see what amazing things the future has in store for you.

Anonymous said...

Elise, everyday you amaze me with the passion and love that you put into the things and people you care about. You are the most hardworking, driven, and passionate person I know and this is obviously seen through your piece. I love how you included the backstory of your family and the conversation with your Abuela because it draws the reader in and allows the reader to understand the author. I was captivated from the very beginning, loved it.

Emily Gonzalez

Period 2

Unknown said...

Elise! I'm glad that you take your heritage with great love and passion. It can be at school or SAT classes, and I still see the hardworking, intelligent girl that you are. I love how you take your heritage as an inspiration to help others rather than look down upon it. Great piece Elise!

Unknown said...

Elise! I'm glad that you take your heritage with great love and passion. It can be at school or SAT classes, and I still see the hardworking, intelligent girl that you are. I love how you take your heritage as an inspiration to help others rather than look down upon it. Great piece Elise!

Anonymous said...

Elise, you truly are an incredible and inspiring person. Your determination to help others and make the world a better place reflects the type of person you are- a generous and selfless one. I also enjoy that you shared a story about a moment you had with your grandmother, especially one so personal. This entry is truly captivating.
Natalia Garcia
Period 2

Anonymous said...

Yes. This is something I agree with. I've had some of my own sideways stares when I mention my own aspirations, but I feel just as you do. Ready to prove to everyone that we can make a massive change. Elise, I appreciate that you took the time to write of this small anecdote with your grandmother because it serves as inspiration to all of us now. I am nothing but confident that you will get very far in all your ventures, especially he ones fuelled by kindness just as the one you wrote of. Brilliant piece!
Eloy Guzman
Per. 2

Unknown said...

This piece was so insightful and powerful. I absolutely loved the imagery and the real life accounts you shared. I think your dream is wonderful and it just floors me that people really even bother questioning your motives. I believe we all have a duty to leave this world just a little bit better than it was during our lifetimes. Thank you so much for sharing!

Alexis Carmona said...

Elise! This is beautiful! You continue to amaze me with your ambition and fervor towards becoming that women that you want to be. Your post was so well written that I felt I was transported to that Belizean Hut on that rainy day. You are truly encouraging and I know that you will accomplish anything that your heart desires. Amazing job! Latina Power!
-Alexis Carmona
Period 5

Anonymous said...

This was an inspirational piece and reminded me that I can accomplish whatever i want despite not having the support that I may desire. I hope you are able to create the organization that you dream of and I'm sure it will help a lot of people and hopefully encourage others to put in their own effort toward doing their part in making our world better.
-Kayla Salas

Unknown said...

I am positive that you'll easily attain your goal. You've always helped people since you were a young'in. There is definitely something interesting out there for you and I'll be able to remember you when your face pops out in one of the UN dedicated articles for NGOs. Your description and exposition of your family lineage had an excellent transition. I like the concept of a story within a story!

victoria hurtado said...

I completely loved this piece. It was truly inspirational and very well detailed with vivid descriptions. I love your motive and determination to succeed and make a difference, it's entirely inspirational. I'm so fascinated at your goals and I'm rooting for you, because you'll definitely do great things! Awesome job Elise
Victoria hurtado
Period 5