Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"How to Make a Green Smoothie" by Sabrina H




Most of you who first hear “green smoothie” probably cringe at the word; however, what
many of you do not know is how delicious it actually is! This green smoothie recipe
features an assortment of vegetables and fruits that are blended together and tastes
just as good as any other smoothie! You’ll be amazed at how great it tastes! Don’t
believe me? Try it out yourself! Your fear of a green smoothie tasting like a cup of
spinach will disappear, and you’ll soon love the concoction yourself. The steps are
simple and, in under five minutes, you’ll have your very own power juice. (This recipe
yields about two cups.)
Ingredients you will need:
● A handful of kale and a handful of spinach (I usually buy large pack of greens
with a mix of these two vegetables for easier preparation)
● A cup of frozen fruits (I like to use an assortment of mangoes, pineapples,
strawberries, and papayas, but you can use whatever mix suits your likings)
● Half an apple (I use Granny Smith apples, but once again, you can use whatever
you prefer)
● A cup of orange juice (or any juice you have on stock; apple juice would also
work great)
Materials you will need:
● A knife
● A blender with the lid
● A cup
● A chopping board
Step 1) Make sure all materials are cleaned and ingredients washed. If you
want to be healthy, you have to start with being sanitary!
Step 2) Plug in your blender into an outlet. Make sure there is not any clutter
around the smoothie or your working area.
Step 3) Pour in our choice of juice into the blender.
Step 4) On your chopping board, carefully cut your apple into small cubes.
Depending on the strength of your blender, you may need to chop them into finer
pieces. Then, place half of the apple into the blender, and you can save the other
half for other uses.
Step 5) Place both the kale and spinach into the blender.
Step 6) Throw in your frozen fruit on top and replace the lid onto the blender. It
is important that you ensure that the lid is properly placed to avoid spillage and
accidents.
Step 7) If you have a blender with a “smoothie setting” use that, otherwise,
start with a low power and slowly build up to high. Blend for 30 seconds or until
all the ingredients have been blended together into a smooth consistency with no
large chunks.
Step 8) Remove the lid and slowly pour the mixture into your cup.
Step 9) Enjoy your very own green smoothie!
This recipe is not the only green smoothie recipe out there! You can add in your own
flavors and try out different ingredients. The possibilities are endless! Whether you drink
it morning, day, or night you can adjust the smoothie to your preferences and cravings!
You can achieve a more savory and creamy flavor using bananas or a more fresh taste
with mint.
A few good tips are to refrain from mixing creamier fruits like banana with very acidic or
citrus fruits like lemon or orange. Furthermore, you can use fresh fruits instead of frozen
fruits to yield a more juicelike
concoction. If you don’t like spinach or kale, you can
switch for chard or collard greens. Also, don’t be afraid to add seeds like chia seed or
flax seed to give your smoothie an extra power boost! Some great suggestions to use in
your smoothie that you may enjoy are mint, avocado, coconut water or milk, or even
protein powder. Sometimes I like to throw in carrot juice for more health benefits, and it
even adds more sweetness. There are many tips available on the internet, too!
However, whatever you decide to use as your base for your smoothie, the results of
your green smoothie will taste great as long as you follow these simple steps! I, myself,
was a little skeptical of the thought of a green smoothie at first, but once I discovered
the refreshing taste and abundant health benefits I was addicted. These smoothies are
all natural and provides you with a full serving of vegetables as well as fruits. If you add
in seeds or other superfoods you get an extra boost to your drink!
So, don’t be afraid of the thought of vegetables in your drink! There are no excuses with
a simple, beginner, and lowcost
recipe such as this one! Overcome these fears and try
your own homemade green juice. Whether you like vegetables or not, I assure you, you
will soon be hooked on these drinks just like me!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Your instructions to make a green smoothie were so thorough! Each instruction made my mouth water, I can not wait to try and make this myself! Good job and thank you for posting.

Unknown said...

I love green smoothies! I normally don't make mine like this, but your recipe sounds super delicious! As for the writing, I thought the instructions were clearly written and your writing conventions are fantastic. This is a recipe that I wouldn't mind using because it's so straightforward and simple, yet descriptive enough for me to envision myself actually making a green smoothie. Well done!

Anonymous said...

i would like to thank you for giving me information on how to make a green smoothie because the lunch ladies sell green naked all the time and i wanted to know how to make them so again thank you
- Eric Edwards

Unknown said...

Thank you for your instuctions to the green smoothie. I will be using this amazing recipe for my heath. I will be sharing this recipe with my family. I hope to see more of your healthy drinks or meals. Thank you so much again.

samantha Quintanilla said...

How fun that you did a green smoothie recipe! I have not made one in a while but i love them and this one sounds very easy to make and super good. You wrote this out very clear and the recipe was open enough to cater to everyone's preference which I also enjoyed. The instructions were descriptive and easy to follow and did a great job of persuading the reader to try a green smoothie.

Anonymous said...

As soon as I read the title I was like "ew GREEN smoothie" and then I read the first line of your 'How to" and I laughed haha. But nonetheless I gave a try and after reading through your instructions I will definitely try this smoothie out. This will be probably be the healthiest drink or "snack" I've ever had and I bet it will taste delicious! Thank you for the recipe.

Alicia Alcaraz
Cogswell Period 5

Unknown said...

I really want to try this I put kale in my smoothies almost all the time it's a really good way to get the nutrients you need but I have never tried spinach I would be happy to try this great job.

Unknown said...

Your recipe sounds really delicious! Your instructions were really clear, thought out, and simple. I would really enjoy making this for myself!

Unknown said...

Your recipe sounds really delicious! Your instructions were really clear, thought out, and simple. I would really enjoy making this for myself!

Unknown said...

Omg Sabrina! I always see you with your green smoothie and I have to admit, it does look gross! I liked your writing a lot. Most of the time recipes are so boring to your read but I thought you did a great job of keeping your audience engaged. Lol but your recipe was so much fun to read and your easy directions really make me want to try it!

Michelle Sanchez said...

After many years of "cringing" at the kind of smoothies my mom would make, I actually recently started to make them myself. Let me tell you that it is refreshing hearing and seeing this through another person other than my mom and Pinterest. I loved reading your suggestions and I have actually even tried it with chia seeds! Good job on your recipe and promoting a delicious way to be healthy!

Unknown said...

Well... THIS IS SO PERFECT FOR ME RIGHT NOW. Since I revamped my diet last week, this recipe can be useful to gather the nutrients I need. I was already hooked looking at the subject of this piece. Great Post!

Anonymous said...

Okay i really like this one its so good i tried it and surprisingly i like it! Hands Down hsha i loved it
Ashley Garcia
per.4

Anonymous said...

Lmao as soon as I saw green smoothies in the title I automatically thought of when someone made fun of you about that! But I am not a fan of green smoothies at all. Anything green to be honest, I do not like. But your instructions were fun to read, and it kept me engaged into the piece. So although I do not, and will not drink a green smoothie, I liked the way you wrote your directions lol. Good Job Sabs!
Rodrick Hill
Period 2

Unknown said...

Sabrina! I always see you drinking your green smoothies and wondered how you made this, so I was actually quite excited to see that you made a how-to. The instructions are clearly and easily described so there's no room for error when making the smoothie. Additionally, I like how you included what you prefer for your ingredients but include where there may be variations, yet also give some pointers to make the best green smoothie. This was a wonderful recipe!

-Amber Tacderan, Period 2

Alexis Carmona said...

This is so good! I absolutely love kale and especially green smoothies. You made this recipe sound effortless and really used thorough imagery that I could almost taste the smoothie as I was reading it. You're really good and I can't wait to try your recipe especially with chia seeds!
-Alexis Carmona
Period 5

Anonymous said...

This sounds sooooo good! I love fruits and vegetables so the infamous idea of a green smoothie does not intimidate me. While reading this i was able to picture each step as if I was already in the kitchen! It was written in a way that I felt involved while reading and entertained instead of just purely informed on how to do something. Great job!
-Kayla Salas, period 5

Unknown said...

This sounds so delicious! I regularly make green smoothies but usually just suck it up and try to handle the awful flavor. Your idea of adding tropical fruits is definitely something I'm going to try! As for your writing, I think yo wrote in a clear and persuasive manner that made readers feel as though we must go try this recipe right now! I loved the language you chose and the tone you set of a trusting friend. Very well written.

Anonymous said...

I liked how, throughout yo ur “how to”, you kept encouraging the reader to just try the recipe . Personally I can drink any type of smoothie, I can't wait to try your delicious smoothie!

Emily Gonzalez
Period 2

Unknown said...

I have always been skeptical about trying these types of smoothies but I am a health fanatic... not really.... but I do enjoy healthy and delicious products because I love that their beneficial to my health and have a great taste to them as well, there aren't too many of those. Since I am lazy, however, I will probably stop by Juice it Up or Jamba Juice and order a green smoothie! However, when money decides to break up with my wallet again, I will definitely go to this piece to create my own smoothie. Your recipe offers a high degree of freedom and creativity and I look forward to making one very soon! Fantastic Instructional!

Unknown said...

This looks super good looks like something you would buy at juice it up! I need to make this because I am trying to start bying healthy and it also looks good and I have to try once!
-David P.5

Unknown said...

I love how you explained that even though the drink is green and does not look appetizing that it still taste good, your instructions were very thorough and gave lots explanation, and easy to understand.
Lailah Harris
period 1