Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

"My Experience with the Scarlet Letter" by Zsa’mine H


            Mr. Hall said choose a letter that would represent a sin to describe ourselves. When this project was given to me I thought it was funny, a joke, something just used to embarrass me around school, but as I began to further understand the novel “The Scarlet Letter” it made since to me. Instead of laughing I began to take it seriously. I finally understood the purpose in putting a letter on my clothing, and walking around with it. Although I wasn’t ashamed I had finally understood.
            Mr. Hall wanted us to relate to the main character Hester Prynne, he wanted us to relate a little more to the story as a whole. Throughout the novel Hawthorne focuses on the aspects of forgiveness and judgment. Although many people did not know what my letter stood for, there were often assumptions made, and due to those assumptions judgment was passed.
            The hardest part was figuring out what letter to use, because of course nobody wants to point out their flaws to the world, so I began to think. I wanted something that would be able to truly describe me, something about myself that I wasn’t entirely proud of, that would be my sin, and the letter on my chest would have that initial.
            It began with a story I was telling my mom, and throughout my story I kept referencing how irritated I was, and how angry I had gotten, and my mom just laughed. She simply said, “you’re always irritated, you get irritated off of crazy stuff.” I didn’t think about it because that’s something my mother always says, but when a boy in my class had said some of the same things my mom said I got to thinking. He said, “your letter should be ‘I’ for irritable.” It might have been a joke then, but the word stayed with me.
            So the next day I got to my task. I mad a very noticeable, and very colorful letter “I”, and pinned it to my shirt. It wasn’t humongous, but it was large enough for people to know that I wasn’t ashamed of the letter that I had placed upon myself. I embraced that letter as if it was apart of my own skin, because just like my skin it was a part of me. That simple, but very noticeable letter “I” represented me more than anything else had ever done.
            So when I was finally allowed to tell people what my letter stood for I was proud to say that the very noticeable, and very colorful letter “I” that was pinned to my shirt stood for irritable, and though I may have gotten judged for such a choice, I didn’t care. The letter “I” that had represented the word irritable began to represent me.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zsa'mine, it was interesting reading the explanation behind your letter. I think you are unique in that you were not embarrassed to wear your letter, but rather proud of that fact that it represented an aspect of yourself.
-Christina Tapia

Laurin Randle said...

I think this was such an interesting topic to write about and I'm glad you were able to share it. I know several of us are familiar with this assignment and I had some the same feelings you had about the project. At first I didn't take it seriously but I slowly was able to realize it's importance. This was a well written insightful piece. Good job

randy garcia said...

That was definitely a fun day! Especially when we got to share our story with the class because it shows us who we are as a person. I forgot what my letter was but I'm sure it represented me. It's great to know people took this seriously because it was suppose to be a serious project at some points. This post is bringing back some memories of Jr. year and it was a great time. Less pressure for sure. Well, thanks for sharing ! good job!

Adriene Mamaril said...

I really liked your piece!! I remember this little project from Mr. Hall's class last year. At the beginning, I thought of it as a waste of my time, but as I got into the book, this project started to mean much more. My scarlet letter was the letter "H", which stood for hot-tempered. I usually hold a calm face at school, but when I get home, I let it all out and go insane. I now try, however, to control myself better and not have a temper anymore. Your piece was a nice read and it brought back great memories from Mr. Hall's class last year.

Unknown said...

I remember doing that same assignment and having people try to guess what my letter stood for. This process made me assess who I was and how much I cared what people thought about me.

Unknown said...

Wow, girl! I enjoyed reading your personal reflection looking back on our Scarlet Letter project! :) That was very bold of you to share with all of us which sin your letter stood for. Your "I" for Irritable made me laugh while reading because it lightened up your story. Great job!

Nick Alarcon said...

Your story can only be described as inspirational, how, rather then just reject the idea of you having flaws, you embraced it and you were not embarrassed for people to know, if only more people in our everyday lives could live like this.

Ji Eun Shin said...

Wonderful job! Your piece was something all of us seniors could relate to, since we all went through the Scarlet Letter in our Junior English classes (and is something that the freshmen will be able to relate to in a couple of years!) By doing so, you helped the seniors think back to their past and reflect on their own sins, while giving the freshmen a little hint to what they should expect in their future. In your piece, it was nice to see how you reflected upon yourself about the time when you were trying to reflect upon yourself to find your sin. To be able to accept your vulnerability and take it heads-on like the way you did is truly inspirational. I hope you continue to have such a great attitude in life!

Alyssa Anderson said...

I remember doing the Scarlet Letter assignment in Mrs. Dodson's class too. The day we presented was very emotional. It is one thing to admit to your faults in your head, but proved to be much more difficult saying your sin out loud to a whole classroom filled with your peers. Your story of figuring out your sin was very similar to mine by which we both weren't quite sure what word to use until other people started to mention it, and then we got that aha moment! Great job on your entry, it takes a lot of courage to put your flaws out for everyone to see.

Anonymous said...

Aww I remember this project last year! It was avery deep and emotional time where everyone had to let go of something. I like that you keep this in mind and will forever hold that project close to you. I admire how your not afraid to let people know the real you! Great job.

-Erin Napoleon

Katherine C said...

At times it is important to embrace different aspects of ourselves and reflect on those varying sides—whether they be flaws or talents. I find it interesting and even admirable that you are to be proud of your flaws since we are all unique individuals. Great Job!

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting getting to read about your reasoning behind I, as someone who wsnt in the class it was very interesting to here your story. I think the letter is very fittting for you- Haley Townes

Malik Howard said...

This was a very well thought entry and is very interesting. I am sure that a lot of us who had Mr. Hall last year really enjoyed your story. Good job!

Jonathan Dallas said...

This was a very nice reflection about the Scarlet Letter project. This story is very relatable since so many of our classmates did the same project as well.

Anonymous said...

I remember being in Mr. Halls AP class last year and I think reading this brought up old memories from when I did my scarlet letter presentation. It was nice hearing that unlike myself some people decided to really think about it while I just pinned a P on my chest for procrastination. I really appreciated that you allowed us to see the thought process by which you approached your presentation.
- Percy Starks

Sarah Castro said...

I'm really glad that you were able to learn a lot from using your letter. The whole point of the project was to learn a lot about yourself, and you seem like you did discover plenty. It shows a lot of maturity to be able to take the assignment seriously and actually evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. Some people would have just slacked off on it, but you took the opportunity to benefit from it. Your "sin" was also very interesting. I find that happening a lot with me nowadays. Hopefully we can all learn from our mistakes.

Unknown said...

Zsa'mine we are a lot alike because I definitely could have used that I for irritable as well! I found it interesting how in the end you said you were proud to wear your sin because it was who you were.

Anonymous said...

Zsa'mine i would have never imagined you as irritable. you are always with a smile across your face. this piece surprised me. i admire that you were brave enough to exploit your flaw and not only exploited it, but embraced it.

Alan Medina
Period 1

Aiseosa Ibude said...

This was extremely intresting. I felt the same way about my scarlet letter. It truly is a hard task to flaunt your sin to the world. You are brave for sharing it with us. It was beautiful.