Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

"How To Become a Regular Babysitter" by Alyssa A


            Babysitting is one of the best jobs to have while in high school. There is no "boss" who controls your work schedule, the hours don't conflict with school since you work mostly on the weekends, and the money you make is tax free. However, many babysitters make simple mistakes that lose them jobs. Here are some tips to create a sound foundation of families to regularly babysit for, allowing you to have some extra spending cash.
1. Availability
            First it is important to be available. Usually most families ask for babysitting service two or three days before the day they need you. If they want you to babysit on a Friday, they will usually contact you on a Wednesday, maybe a Tuesday. Unquestionably this is not a whole lot of notice and you may already have plans for that night. Nevertheless, we are all Seniors here and have taken Economics so let's apply what we have learned. A decision confronts us with a possible tradeoff. We can either stick with our original plans, or we can cancel the plans and  make some money. Measure the opportunity cost. If your plans are to stay at home to binge watch a new series on Netflix, you should accept the babysitting job and watch your shows another day. But say you have tickets to the Justin Timberlake concert or you are going to prom on that night, it is probably in your best self interest to pass up the babysitting opportunity. If you have a good reason, the family will be understanding. Being available is very important. If you are not available the family will ask another sitter, and if you decline too many times to babysit for them they will stop asking you. Consequently, you have just lost a job.
Tip: A good rule of thumb is to not cancel on a family two times in a row. If you have to you must have a pretty good reason. Also, if you are in a sport or extracurricular activity where you have weekend games/performances and practices, notify the families.. For example,  during basketball season I send out a text to the families I babysit for and let them know that I am in season and cannot babysit on Friday nights from January to March. After season I send out another text to inform them that I am available again.
2. Research
            Before even going to the house to sit, it is important to do some research to prepare for the night. What happens when you don't prepare for a test? You usually fail. It is the same thing with babysitting. There are three key pieces of information you must know about the family before you go over to work.
                        A). Number of Kids/Ages
                        B). House Rules
                        C). Illnesses (allergies, colds, etc.)
This information can be found out by just asking one of the parents (usually the mom). Now this seems like a simple step but passing it up has the possibility of ending a babysitting relationship with a family. One of the families I babysit for are strictly vegetarian. If I brought over some Dino Nuggets as a fun snack for the kids, I most likely would not have gotten a call for a second job. This information also helps prepare you for what type of night it is going to be. If the parents are newlyweds with an eight month old baby be prepared to change a diaper, make a bottle, and maybe deal with some extensive crying. If the family has three boys who are seven, nine, and eleven, be ready for a busy night where you will act as the referee, mediate disputes, and be asked a million questions about their favorite video game. Doing your research will allow you to prepare yourself and know what mindset and skills you must have before starting the night.
3.  Think Like A Kid, Act Like An Adult
            One of the most tricky things about babysitting is being relatable and fun with the kids while keeping them in reign and having them know that you are in charge. The kids are a direct line of communication to their parents, telling them if you make a mistake, if you are mean, or if you let them run wild; however, they also tell their parents when they had fun and if they experienced any new things.  The best way to achieve this balancing act of respect and fun is by packing a "Bag of Activities". Now a days, kids spend their time watching television, being on the computer, or playing video games. You should bring alternative things to do that are more interactive like origami, board games (Candy Land, Shoots and Ladders, Guess Who, etc.), or seasonal activities (painting-not carving-pumpkins for Halloween, creating Valentine's Day Cards, making paper snowflakes for Christmas, etc.). These activities are fun for the kids and put you in a teaching position, allowing them to follow your directions without you having to be stern or forceful. You must also pack a figurative "Bag of Activities". This is where knowing the kids ages is important. Freshen up your mind on topics that the kids are interested in. Be prepared to talk about Disney movies (especially the new movies like Frozen and Tangled, but do not pass up the classics like The Little Mermaid, Toy Story, and The Lion King), popular video games (Call of Duty, Minecraft, NBA 2k14, etc.), and appropriate songs/artists.                                                                                           
          


    www.guide4moms.com            
  





 www.dan-dare.org                                        





  



Tip: I also find it useful to not talk down to the kids or treat them like they are "babies". This is especially important when babysitting kids who are in fourth grade or older. They do not want to be treated like little kids, especially when they have younger siblings. They see themselves as more mature than the younger kids, they want you to see them this way too.
4. Clean
            When parents ask for a babysitter it is usually because they are going out on a date or they have a work event. After a fun night out no parent wants to come home to a messy house. An effective way to become a regular babysitter is to clean up the house while the parents are away: do the dishes in the sink, wipe down the counters, clean the stove, pick up the couch pillows and fold the throw blankets, organize the kid toys. When the parents come home they will be surprised and appreciative, earning you some big points and a call back.
Tip:  I usually run the dishes in the dish washer and then unload them once the cycle is done to save time. That way I can play with the kids instead of washing dishes for an hour.   
            Babysitting is a great way to make some extra money and is an easily managed job to have while in high school; however, it does take some effort. Be available, get to know the kids, allow the kids to have fun, and pick up the house and you will create a sound foundation of families for whom you can regularly babysit.

23 comments:

Adriene Mamaril said...

Wow, I really like your piece Alyssa! This is very helpful because I actually know quite a few friends who want to babysit to get extra cash. I really like how this piece is very detailed and organized. I smiled at the part about how you incorporated economics into this. The tip you gave out is very helpful as well. It is very important to get along with the kids. We wouldn't want them to get bored! Overall, this instructional guide was very helpful and easy to read. You did an amazing job!!

Tiffany T. said...

This instructional article was great!! It was super useful and it gave me a lot of insight on the preparation work that I need to do and what to expect. I will definitely keep this in mind whenever I need to babysit any kids. Each step was really detailed and your explanation made it crystal clear to understand. I also like how you put "tips" and pictures of some movies to help the readers understand. I really enjoyed reading this article! Great job!

Anonymous said...

This was a great entry! I have always been interested in babysitting. From reading this article, it helped me decide if I would really be open to babysitting. :) Also, what you mentioned in this entry was familiar from my child development teacher. She tells us the same thing about the "baby" calling haha.
-Leia s. period 6

Anonymous said...

Alyssa, I couldn't agree with you more - babysitting is one of the best jobs in the world. It's fun, manageable, and always keeps you on your toes. Plus, you never know what you'll encounter. But, one thing is certain, kids are amazing and getting paid to hang out with them is a win-win. After reading your tips, I am convinced you should become a trainer for all aspiring babysitters!
-Christina Tapia

Anonymous said...

wow next time i babysit i will use your tips i like how you gave methods that seem ver effective
_ariana jimenez

Analinda Ornelas said...

This was such a cuthe (and extremely helpful) piece! I have done some babysitting in the past, so I can relate to most of these points to some extent, and can totally vouch for your professional advice. I loved the tips that you were kind enough to include, because they are literally the main things that any good babysitter needs to remember. And you're right about it being a great job, it's like getting paid to make new friends, at least if you put forth the effort. And the econ. reference was awesome, and much appreciated. Thanks for the useful tips Alyssa! :)

Louis Westfall said...

Well until I read this I was a very bad babysitter. I thought that Id help the kids with "building character" but apparently that is a bad idea... Anyways I cant believe you found a way to include Reisman's JT concert tickets example in your babysitting steps. That cracked me up. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Your post was so informational! I genuinely did learn a lot about babysitting that I never knew. I usually babysit the neighbor's kid or my niece and nephews and, let me tell you, you are absolutely right about availability and great and creative ways to entertain children. Great work Alyssa :)
-Hennessy Verduzco

Anonymous said...

Great Job!! I liked reading it! You gave off many useful tips if we ever want to babysit. I always loved children and I like spending time with them. I liked how you gave off useful methods and techniques that seem to work and are hepful. Soo if I want to become a babysitter I will defenitly use your tips !!
-Natalie Anguiano

Daijah_Outley said...

I've wanted to babysit in the past and these are great tips to getting started. I loved the tips yougave and they're easy to follow. Great entry for the blog.

Tia Basa said...

Alyssa! This instructional guide is very helpful! I really like how you added some economics to it. The opportunity cost example made me laugh. From reading the whole post I could really tell that you are a professional babysitter. I like how after each step, you gave the reader tips. I give you props for knowing how to use a dishwasher. I tried to use mine at home and water ended up leaking all over the kitchen floor! The additional pictures of Frozen, Lion King and Call of Duty was a great touch! Great Job!
- Tia Basa

Katherine C said...

This was really helpful Alyssa! You not only clearly listed, but also elaborated on the main points necessary to become a mindful and successful babysitter! I appreciate the extra tips and websites to help us relate more to the children we many be babysitting!

Alyssa Sarabia said...

I can tell by the tips you provided, that you are a great babysitter and must get a lot of call backs :) The tips you provided were very helpful because I even learned a few things that might help when I watch my sisters. I like how you used the economics reference so that we could understand witch options to choose and that are more important. Great job.

Ravenn said...

I now know how to babysit! Wow! I feel a lot less scared of walking into a foreign household and taking care of their kids now. I now know to ask if they are vegetarian, to bring fun non-video games, and to clean everything up afterwards. This is probably the most useful thing I've read all year. Thank you for giving me insight, in a very organized way, about how to properly babysit. I'm glad I read your post!!

Neha Quraishi said...

I can't totally tell you have a lot of experience as a babysitter from this piece! I love how you chose to describe the true way to be a good babysitter as many people tend to overlook the seriousness behind the job and don't think twice about it. It's actually a hard job but can be fun at the same time just as you mentioned! I hope to have a babysitter as caring and responsible as you in the future when I have kids of my own! :)

Anonymous said...

This taught me alot and heped me very good job
-abigail rich

Sarah Castro said...

Wow, this was a great reference for babysitters. You put a lot of detail and work into it. All those links and tips must have come from years of experience. Babysitting seems like a job that anyone can do, but it really is hard work to create a reputation, take care of the kids, and make yourself professional when you're most likely still just a teenager. I bet you've got your own system down pat, so congratulations! Great job!

Roselin Oonsiri said...

This guide is very jam packed with information. You must have a lot of babysitting experience. I like how you included the being a responsible adult portion because people tend to overlook it. I also like the examples for your instructions, like the questions to ask the family and even activities for each season. Your guide takes some stress off of how to prepare for a babysitting night by telling us what to expect. Good Job.

Anonymous said...

Wow. If it's this easy to be a babysitter, I may be looking for a job. I liked how your were detailed on all the steps.
-Josh Barton
Period 6

Unknown said...

Great instructional article! It was very detailed and highlighted some things I wouldn't have thought of. Now I can grow my own babysitting empire when I go off to college.

Anonymous said...

Alyssa I love your babysitting technique. This sounds like the perfect strategy to the best way if watching kids, you have mastered the job to the fullest thanks for sharing and giving awesome tips -Mckynzie Fort

Anonymous said...

This is a great article. The fact that you spoke from personal experience gives it so much more credibility. The format you used was logical and easy to follow and I liked the red font for the tips. This grabbed the readers' attention to important parts. You demonstrated a balance between school and other responsibilities something crucial to babysit and get the job. Thanks for this informative article.

JOEL GUZMAN

Kayla Garcia said...

There were so many things that made me love this piece. Your analogies, examples, and experience tips were all great! You addressed many issues that I wouldn’t have thought of for babysitters to consider, such as research that can help one’s chance to be hired again. This part was really interesting because I forget at times that not everyone lives the same lifestyle. Also, I liked the analogy you used to compare babysitting to an exam that students have to prepare for. It emphasizes the importance of having to know what one can expect from babysitting. Otherwise, the lack of preparation can lead to a waiting call for a second job that never happens. Overall, your piece was great and funny. Good job!(: