Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

"Musical Outcast" by Jonathan M


       When people think of music they would mention big artist like Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber, etc, which are a few and media’s favorite. There must be more than just this, more than just the six artists always playing on the radio and deciding what song is a “Top hit” and play it for months. Usually, these songs are similar—lyrics only talking about money, girls and partying. For myself, I avoid the radio at all cost and explored music in a different direction.  I wanted to listen to music that has not have been getting credit and something that no one really recognizes.
                  When I was younger, I came across metal and alternative music that no one even knows about. I just wanted something different and wanted to experience what the media has shunned. When people think of metal, they always say, “it sounds like devil worshipping music” or “it sounds like cats and dogs inside a bag fighting”.   They are not use to listening to singers screaming and having loud distorted music playing all the time. They are not use to different and easily judge a book by its cover. These bands do not scream songs of the devil at all, but scream an emotion that only screaming it can only express. I see it more as, they want to scream out the pain they have faced throughout the years and carry out this opinion that should not be whispered.  The lyrics that they tend to scream are usually about their lowest point in their life, and how they came across it and overcome their problems and become a better person out of it; or getting back up to their feet and to move forward, or to never give up on your dreams or to commit yourself to help others. These were lyrics that they would write and give out word of hope to people who do not have any. These are advice that should be screamed at to everyone every day!
                  I went to these metal concerts to experience this environment that is filled with positivity in the tempo that no one is used to. Once the band starts, the crowd becomes energetic. This was sort of ironic knowing that these people were not prep kids; they were outcasts who are seen as weird, or different. They were all here to experience this emotion.  They were all broken and wanting to find a relief and seeing them all together uniting to hear messages of hope is as special moment as if it was the same type of emotion we would feel at church. I enjoy this type of fan base the most because no one is assigned seats; they are all bundled up together, penetrating each other’s personal bubble and in the end we join together as one family. During mosh pits, people would swing the air and accidently punch someone. However if they do, usually they tend to say sorry and care about one another. Moshing just seen as a way to release the anger they have been hold up, like a type of relief. And at the end of the day no one stays pretty, everyone has their voice lost and filled with happiness as if they came out of a sacred temple and all their sins have been lifted.
                  To me this experience means the world, without it, I would have been lost still trying to find a hope that I could actually experience. Music has saved my life just from little research and listening to something that never plays on the radio. Even if you do not like metal music maybe there is something different that may have your interest. See it as an adventure, to explore a world that has not seen the spotlight of the media!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

As a fellow music lover and vocalist, I wholeheartedly enjoyed this piece! I love that little adrenaline rush when I'm at a concert of my favorite band and they play my favorite song. That feeling I get when I'm singing the lyrics with the crowd at the top of my lungs, is incredible. It's a great stress relief.

I praise you for writing a piece with such detailed diction and imagery! You captivated the feeling and emotion of music and its influence so well with just a few little paragraphs. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I also love music so it was easy for me to read and enjoy this piece
-Sabrina Espinoza
period 6

Patricia O. said...

As someone who doesn't listen to metal, this offered a big insight into the experience of it all. I was able to gain a better understanding of something I was I am completely unfamiliar with, so this piece definitely served it's purpose. Great job describing how you discovered and fell in love with it.

Louis Westfall said...

Johnny this really hit the nail right on the head. I enjoy almost every kind of music and when people say, "even metal?" it gets frustrating because they do not realize that their lyrics and themes actually have meaning, nor do they understand the talent it requires to play the way they do. The way you described how it made you feel was very impressive. Good Job

Unknown said...

I am one of those people who have never liked metal music because I've always thought it was just random yelling, and it seems like it's because I've never really listened to their words carefully. The point you've brought up makes sense to me, and I believe it is true for almost every type of music, if not all. I believe that there is a purpose to all of the different styles of music, and their different lyrics, tempo, and melodies all have different meanings behind them. Great analysis on music, and thank you for sharing your thought!

-Ben Chang

Eva Chen said...

What you said about pop music is SO true, now that I come to think about it! The popular artists just sing about the same things over and over again. Even though I am someone who has been sucked into the trap of Top 40 song, it was really great to hear about the other side of music. It seems like something that you can really connect to on a deeper level, rather than just listening to Bieber saying "swag" twenty billion times... You've definitely inspired me to give alternative and metal music a try!

Anonymous said...

i can appreciate the way you feel Jonathan. i love Tom Petty even though many people nowadays will have no idea who that is. they just dont make music like they used to.
- Justin Myers

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I am not a fan of metal. However, I can relate to your desire to experience music that is less than mainstream. You did a wonderful job at portraying the captivating quality of music and its unique ability to bring people together. Based on your article, I just might have to give metal a second chance. Nice job!!!

-Christina Tapia

Anonymous said...

I completely understand how it is with mainstream music and how people swear that it sends out good messages. But for me it's not metal music, it is more alternative and sometimes country (I know, two different sides of the spectrum). I am really glad you actually wrote about this because no one understands how music can affect someone. Nice job (:

Taylor Robles

Unknown said...

I never really viewed metal as real music so it was interesting to read this because I never thought of it in this way. I honestly thought it was devil worshipping music but you're very right: We should definitely listen before judging. But I empathize with you on the side of listening unpopular music because no one really knows I get on youtube and listen to The Witch and the Saint by Steven Reineke (Modern Classical) so I totally know where you're coming from. But good job on your entry; it was very insightful.

Anonymous said...

I love how you encourage your readers to non-conform and give non-mainstream music a shot. Your open mindedness is noteworthy because you acknowledge that alternative and metal aren't necessarily appealing to everyone even though it means so much to you. You clearly demonstrated how passionate you are about your music and its honestly inspiring. It's cool that you feel at one and in tune with your peers at these concerts. Sounds awesome, rock on. :)

-Danieh Abu Alrub

Chelsea Martinez said...

This piece genuinely made me smile. I'm guilty of brushing off metal as that screaming, devil-worshiping music. But it's never been described to me in this way. I've never thought of the emotion behind it and the real reason as to why it sounds the way it sounds. It probably has more emotion than the songs that play repeatedly on the radio combined. You did this. You changed my perspective on life. Very deep words, Johnny. You go. You do you.

Melissa Nollora said...

Johnny,
I appreciate your interest in metal music, mostly because it strays from the social norm. Now I'm not bashing on all the mainstream music, but it's nice to know that people take interest in music other than the "Top 40" and "Mainstream Indie." I completely understand when you said that metal music generally expresses one's feelings. Yes it generally sounds like screams and all noise, but when you really listen, it's heartbreaking to hear all the emotions they feel. The fact that you mentioned mosh pits actually made me laugh. I can only imagine fists flying and the lack of personal space. All in all, I enjoyed your piece! (:

Anonymous said...

I love this, just because the way we met last year was due to music. Your topic was just awesome and completely unique compared to everyone else's. We share the same music taste, except my metal phase passed a while ago lol. I think your ability to listen to unique new music has helped you grow as a person because you, yourself, are a unique person. Overall, I really liked your piece and hopefully you changed other people's opinions about metal music :)
- Alyssa Che