Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2021

"Why Bother Caring?" by Laura C


Warning: Mild discussion of Anorexia


We live in a society where we have to suppovily live up to be this perfect person and look a certain way. But why do we have to constantly think about what we are going to wear tomorrow, the way we act or counting every last calorie? We always ponder about what others think about us, even though they are thinking the same exact thing about us. When I was a little kid, I was either known as the really quiet kid, Mrs. Clark’s daughter, or the kind of weird girl. But never once did I ever think of what the other kids thought of me. I just was myself. They could have been saying how weird or annoying I was and I would have never known because I was never taught to make impressions on people. My friends would ask me “What is your most embarrassing moment?” and I would never know what to say, because I did not think of what other people thought of me.

Then came middle school.

Some kids made comments on my forehead, teeth, or eyebrows every now but it never got to me. I learned to like those attributes of myself because my Dad once had those exact features painted on his face. 7th grade I did NOT like my classmates, and I was never scared to call out the kids and stick up for myself when needed. But, I also never had a good set of friends, and by 8th grade I basically had none, but I did not mind. I enjoyed the company of myself in my teachers classroom during lunch, mindlessly eating dinosaur chicken nuggets while watching netflix on my phone. I honestly could have been bullied in my middle school days, and never knew it because I did not think of what other people thought of me.

Until the very last day of 8th grade.

Yes, I remember the exact spot, exact place, exact person, exact time. I was being my typical stubborn self when we were in 8th grade promotion rehearsal, when me and this boy got into a little disagreement. He decided his comeback would be,” Shut up Laura, you look anorexic.” Never in my life has anyone said this to me, and really threw me off guard. I knew I was not sick like that, and was not my story at all. I was really just a late bloomer and my body could not catch up with my growing height. You would think such a thoughtless and ignorant comment would just slide off my back. But it did not. It changed my brain's wiring and how I looked at myself and even the world. I started to care what other people thought of me.

It got even worse when I got into highschool and went into band. People were expecting me to be this crazy talented saxophone player, because of my siblings' success. The saxophone was literally bigger than me. They never called me anorexic to my face, but always made fun of how weak I was, and side remarks to each other. I never realized how much of a bad environment I was in, until much later but quickly left. But I still cared about what other people thought of me.

My insecurities were then mainly based on how skinny I was again. I always had compared myself to other girls my age and they didn’t look as skinny as me. I tried to eat more, but that was not the problem and my weight was something I learned I could not control. I was very sensitive when people told me I was skinny, had long legs, said I looked anorexic, because no matter what I did, I just stayed the same. I used to be in an unhealthy relationship in which one incident he made a joke with his friend right in front of me about how I looked “so anorexic”. He knew how insecure I was but still decided to make the joke anyways, me being mute the rest of the day drowning in my thought of insecurities. Still caring about what other people thought of me.

Then quarantine hit.

2020 was the year I went back to my old habits. Broke up with the boyfriend, started reading again, rewatched my favorite TV series, rode my RAZOR scooter everywhere, all the fun stuff. Most importantly, I had so much alone time with myself just like how it was in middle school. It took me some time, but without this constant pressure of my peers I learned to focus on myself and that only. In 5 years from now, you are not going to care or even acknowledge these people that you are constantly worrying about making an impression on. Once I learned this during quarantine I felt like I had all this time on my hands, because before I constantly tried to fix myself to meet the social standards. I no longer cared or thought of what other people thought of me.

In the long run, never judge someone by the way they look, and do not just make assumptions about them. You never know what little comment can do to someone's self esteem. :)

29 comments:

Hailey Marie Hillstock said...

Hi Laura! I loved your story and how you found yourself again during quarantine. I think it's so important for people to watch what they say to others because it can really affect who they are.

Kendra Andrews said...

Wow, Laura!! I absolutely loved this and I completely feel that quarantine had the same affect on me that it did for you.A lot of the times we care too much about things that don't even matter in life and a couple years from now, we'll realize how silly those things really were. Really beautiful writing and I am so happy you were able to find yourself again:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. People never understand how one comment carelessly said can have such an impact on a person's life. You should be so proud of yourself for learning once again to not care what others think, it is much easier said than done.

Isaiah Garza said...

I loved this piece because of how you showed the progression. I think i speak for many when i say many people only develop the awareness of external opinions. People develop insecurity, they don't start with it but that is not often talked about. I like how you ended this story by getting back to your roots. I'm proud of you for making this journey and great work on this piece!

Malachi Hawkins said...

very interesting story and it is really cool that you no longer carry your insecurities with you!- Malachi Hawkins

Ashley Inocencio said...

Hey Laura! Thank you for sharing your story. First off, I barely know you but you are so amazing and beautiful. Second off, you are so strong to bounce back from those that were tearing you down. Thank you again for sharing.

Cenia Ruiz said...

Wow! This piece was sooo relatable I just love how you found yourself and became more confident during a time where we all struggled. It was nice to see the good that came out of quarantine.

Arabella Bautista said...

This was a really powerful piece! I liked how you bolded the last sentence of each paragraph, it's super effective in helping the reader trace your thought process. Amazing job, Laura!!

Taryn Andazola said...

This was really an amazing thing that you went through and I felt like I was on you journey with you. I love how you found yourself and stopped letting other's stupid opinions and mean comments affect you. It really put into perspective how easy it is to make a change in your life.

Kristiana Ortiz said...

This was so well written!! I really loved the message that your writing portrayed, and how heavy our words actually weigh on others.

William James Smith III said...

William James Smith III: Great Job Laura! It is cool for people to come out about their problems like you as when I was little, I was quite anorexic myself. Now, I am more normally build, and I have more muscle on me, but I am still pretty skinny at 6'1" only 170 lbs. There are advantages and disadvantages to almost every single body type! Just find the best stuff with what you can do with yours, and you will be happy!

William :)

Anonymous said...

mmm HI LAURA!! I love the way that you wrote this and how you emphasized the changes in not caring, to caring, to then not caring again. Getting to watch you grow into yourself over the quarantine has even made me realize how much I care about what other people think of me and i'm so happy that you now know and love yourself out in the open- because YOU SHOULD. :))

Richelle Mendoza said...

Thank you for sharing your story! People never know how deep their words are. I'm glad you no longer care about what others think about you!

Aries Tacderan said...

This is a beautiful lesson! It's a great story of growth and you should be very proud of yourself. It's hard to combat the words people say to you and brush it off your shoulder, but you clearly have a hang of it. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Ah hi Laura! I loved reading your writing because it shows how one small remark from someone insignificant can change your entire mindset and mess with your self image heavily. This reminded me to stop caring about what others think because I too struggle with body image when it comes to my weight. I'm so glad to hear that you've found yourself again :)

Amorette Correa said...

Thank you for sharing this personal experience. It is crazy how other people can affect us. When I was in middle school I was so secure in my intelligence and beauty. Then I went into highschool and joined social media. When people would call themselves ugly, fat, stupid, etc I would compare myself to them. I weighted more then them, had similar grades, and did not receive many compliments. These comparisons plus social media gave me insecurities. But I learned that everyone is insecure. If we are all trying to learn how to love ourselves, then why compare myself to others. I am still learning how to love myself, but I am glad that you shared your experience. You inspire me to continued to love and learn about myself. Thank you.

Ashlee Mills said...

Laura this is so amazing. I'm so happy you shared your story and made it known that little comments can really hurt someone and change their life. I'm so glad you got back to the person you used to be. Great Job!!

Charmaine Luciano said...

Hi Laura, thank you for sharing your story! I definitely agree that words can have a great impact on others, but I’m glad for how much you’ve mentally grown from this experience and how you no longer let anyone’s comments affect you! This is inspiring for others who may also be struggling with self confidence. -Charmaine Luciano

Luvly Lopez said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with the class! I am so proud of you for finding love for yourself again because I know how hard that process can be. I appreciate the vulnerability of your piece and how you essentially brought awareness to the small insults or "jokes" that have a tremendous effect on people. This was absolutely beautiful thank you !

paulina jimenez said...

Laura, thank you for sharing your story with us. We truly do recognize the strength you must have in order to be public about a topic that is as sensitive as this one, as it is for most. You are BEYOND beautiful and I am so glad you overcame the stage that was bringing you down, great job!

Anonymous said...

I love this so much. I admire how you were never really worried about others thoughts for so long, and how others comments really didn't matter because they didn't matter to you. I especially admire how you were able to go back to that after having to experience the worry of others thoughts and perception of you because it is SO hard to just ignore stuff like that when you're told it so many times. I'm happy you're back to your old self now like you said. As for your writing the structure in which you sectioned each part as you slowly reached that point where things seemed to go bad was so perfect. The part when things started to get better and you bolded the lines you repeat each paragraph just add to that mantra that others opinions of you don't really matter if you don't think they matter. It implies that you hold all the power over yourself and it's so inspiring and easy to forget when you're not feeling your best. Thank you for this !

Pamela Maicot said...

This piece is soooo relevant! Your writing style, choice of diction, everything just really hit the nail on the head. There are so many expectations we push upon ourselves because we think it'll help us fit into society. With quarantine, we were physically forced to take time and review ourselves which quite honestly has been the best thing to happen to me. I'm glad that I'm not the only one feeling this liberated!

Emily Brown said...

I love your piece, the way you went through so much and found your confidence again is so amazing. I cared so much about what people thought about me and never really realized that the only opinion that matter was mine. This is so relatable and inspirational.

Arnold Porter Jr said...

This was amazing and inspiring. It really taught me to stop caring about what others think and live my life. Thank u for this

Chrissy Lopez said...

Oh my goodness this piece was so raw and real! Thank you for sharing something so personal yet so powerful and inspiring! As a reader, I found myself relating to you in many ways, as people made judgements about my own body before and often told me to eat more. You are not alone! And the way you found yourself during quarantine was just beautiful to read! I’m so glad you’re living a better life :) may it continue that way.

Enrico Del Rosario said...

Actually Laura,

It's been approximately 5 years and 8 months since the first time I saw my catholic school friend, Marshall, talking to that really cool girl I instantly knew I wanted to be friends with, on that first day of sixth grade. Now, we're here...seniors. It's so insane seeing how much you've grown and matured, and I have had the privilege of being your friend through all that time. I remember the feeling of having a carefree mindset; not thinking about what others do, putting energy in the simple things, and finding joy in ways others didn't. I also "remember the exact spot, exact place, exact person, exact time" I was targeted by hurtful passes. Thank you for reminding me of how much I've grown, and most importantly, thank you for allowing us even the smallest glimpse into a vulnerable part of your world. You have brought me comfort in knowing that I wasn't alone, and I hope that YOU know that I am SO incredibly proud of you and the beautiful person you have become/have always been!

(P.S. you ACTUALLY are like- so bae ACTUALLY, that boi never deserved you and never will, like ACTUALLY ✋🏽😎)

Lauren Perez said...

This was written amazingly. I love how much it taught me to view from other’s perspective.

Anonymous said...

This was such a good piece and sadly I can agree with most of the things you were faced with growing up, I’m glad to see that your brave enough to speak about it ! -Leah Thompson

Mya Bailey said...

I love how you put your struggles in bold and at the end you overcame it. This was very inspiring.