Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2021

"How to Make Warbats" by Elyana S.


Warbats are a traditional Middle Eastern sweet that are usually presented in events or gifted when visiting family. For as long as I can remember, my mother and grandmother would make these on the days we would have guests over or have a family reunion. They always proved tasty as every time the sweets were put out, these were the first to go. Although I was grateful for the abundant amount of delicious sweets, I never understood why every time we saw each other we would have to bring something homemade- until I started sitting with our elders. They explained to me that in our culture desserts are always used in celebration and are a symbol of thankfulness. When I learned about the meaning behind this dish, I fell in love with how my culture believed in giving back and unity. I began wanting to learn how to make these so I can be part of a huge value in my culture, but never seemed to have time. Recently, due to my enthusiasm for sweets and the unlimited free time during the beginning of quarantine, I started learning how to make these with my mom. At first it seemed so complicated, but after some practice it became second nature. This recipe allowed bonding time between my mom and I, it truly became our little tradition to bake these and take to our family in the neighborhood. This dish symbolizes family coming together and they’re my preferred Arab sweet, as they’re so versatile and are always delicious! I hope to bring some of that Middle Eastern hospitality to you guys through this tasty recipe!

Tools Needed:

  Measuring cups

   Tablespoons

   Multiple bowls

   Of varying sizes

   Mixing spoons

   Wooden for making the flling

   Stainless steel for the rest

   Baking brush

   Baking pan

   Small pots

   To melt butter

   Make the flling

   1 pint of whipping cream (ultra pasteurized)

   3 tablespoons of cornstarch

   1 tablespoon of sugar

   1 package of golden fake filo dough

   1 stick of unsalted butter

   1 capsule of rose blossom water

   2 cups of sugar

   1 cup of water

   Make the filling

   Mix cornstarch with whipping cream on low heat until it thickens

     Use small pan and wooden spoon to create it

   Set aside until room temperature

   Make the syrup

   Mix 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup of water and 1 capsule of rose blossom water

     Use another small pan and mix with metal spoon

     Keep on medium heat until it thickens

    Careful as it could become very hot and dangerous

     Set aside until room temperature

   Melt the butter

   Place in bowl and microwave for 1 minute

   Get the dough sheets ready

   Separate each sheet and cover it with butter

     Using a baking brush

     Careful as they can rip easily

   Spread butter on baking pan

   using the same baking brush

   Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit

   Lay the buttered dough sheet fat and fold into threes

   Similar to the “hotdog method” but three folds

   Place filling at the bottom edge of the sheet

   Using a full tablespoon of the filling

   Fold up until the flling is covered

   About 2 inch fold

   Make sure to have a tight fold to ensure the flling does not escape the dough

   Fold the sheet across to the left then right

   Continue folding pattern until the sheet is shaped into a triangle

   Place each warbat on banking pan and spread butter on top of them

   When placing them place each warbat fat side matching with another to maximize the pan space

   When the pan is covered or dough is fnished, place in the oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown

   Should feel crunchy on the exterior

   Soft on the inside

   Once completed remove from oven and spread the syrup on them

   Each warbat should have a hefty amount of syrup on it

   Optional: place crumbled pistachios on each warbat

   Do immediately after syrup to ensure they stick

   Allow them to cool down and enjoy!


 

 

 


The fnal result should look similar to the image above. A nice golden-brown exterior with a crunchy texture and the inside should be fufy and smooth, and have a white color. It tastes like a sweet explosion in every bite, fulflling during any time of day. These can be placed in the refrigerator to keep fresh and could even be eaten cold! And they taste incredible even after microwaving! The recipe is really simple and very enjoyable, and I hope you guys give it a try. Thank you for reading this recipe and allowing me to share some of my culture with you guys!


E

35 comments:

Madelyn Mejia said...

Your little introduction was so sweet and interesting to learn about, and they look delicious as well! I'm no chef but your instructions were so detailed and specific that I'm sure anyone could follow them. I'll definitely be trying these out sometime so thanks so much for sharing :)!

Unknown said...

There was so much information about you family, culture, and dessert; I loved it!! It's always so amazing to see the stories behind the things we make with and for our family and friends! Your instructions were very clear and precise! Great job! - Samantha Galarza

Emily Folkner said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe and the importance it holds in your family! It looks amazing, I cannot wait to try it for myself!

Raymund Lillo said...

I love food so I'm going to give this a try. I am not the best when it comes to baking so I hope I don't burn my house down. Thanks for sharing!

Hailey Marie Hillstock said...

Hi Elyana! I always appreciate learning recipes from different cultures. I love that this dish symbolizes family coming together. I hope one day I can try it!

Diego Kontorovsky said...

This food looks so good! It makes me hungry just looking at it. Excited to try this! Thank you for sharing!

Isaac Ilano said...

That food looks delicious, maybe one day I'll come back to this and try to make it as good as you did. Love every detail on what you said about folding the bread and adding in every detail to make sure we can perfect this recipe

Malachi Hawkins said...

these look really good I also love how the instructions were formatted very easy to follow -Malachi Hawkins

Jaeden Alo said...

These look delicious! I love the backround and history of this delightful dessert, especially your own personal memories you have with your family. Food connects us all and it is a great way to bond and enjoy life together. I gotta try these, great job!

Kristiana Ortiz said...

This is such a cool and unique dessert recipe! It was really interesting to read about the process and learn about the importance of cooking in your culture.

Taryn Andazola said...

I always love when someone posts a recipe, but I especially love when it has meaning to their culture! These sound so amazing and I'm so excited to try them!

Nguyen Ho said...

these look so good!! i'll definitely try making them soon! thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

Hi Elyana!! The way that you explained how your culture values deserts as a way of showing thanks and how these even gave you an excuse to bond with your mother over quarantine made my heart warm and your directions were so thorough and easy to follow! I hope that i'm able to make these because they look so good. Thank you for sharing this!! :))

Richelle Mendoza said...

Omg they look so good! I would love to make this with my family and have some bonding time! Thank you for sharing this great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love how you explained the meaning of homemade sweets in the beginning. This dessert is so good and I'm glad you wrote this recipe because I now want to make them too!

Oluwaseyi Alli said...

These look and sound so good !! Thank you for sharing the importance it has in your culture it really makes me want to try it out !!!

Andrew Abdulkarim said...

I do not know for certain if I have tried these before or not, but I definitely have never made them before. The recipe you have provided sounds absolutely delicious and is very easy to follow. I would love to try making them with my family some time. Thank you very much for sharing!

Kaitlyn Edmundson said...

Those look and sound so good! I'll have to try making them!

Lauryn Luera said...

The description and the meaning behind the recipe is so cool, it seems like a great recipe. I think it is so interesting how much it means to you and your culture.

Kailee Mark said...

I've never heard of a warbat before, so it was really interesting to hear the cultural history behind it! They sound delicious, so I'll have to try making them one day.

Jaden Battee said...

I really liked your entry because shared a significance of something so small as dessert and I can relate because I usually bake with my grandmother and aunt. That's where we spend some quality and where I pick up on traditions to perform in the future and pass down to my children. I will definitely try this dessert one day though!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! For some reason I often cant find Filo dough, so I use puff pastry when im in a pinch. I cant wait to make this!

Kiyah Brown said...

I like how you talked about the familial bond that this recipe has created for you and your instructions were also easy to understand!

Sharleen Nunez said...

Thank you so much for sharing this!!! I literally cannot wait to try it, it looks absolutely amazing! GREAT JOB

Anonymous said...

I loved the background before you talked about the recipe it's so interesting and nice the connection we can have to food. This looks and sounds so good, I'd love to try making it.

Anonymous said...

This is personally one of my most faovrite middle eastern dishes! And the story behind it was vegry touching. I will make sure to not miss out on this reciepe. I relate so much, it is so true that these sweets are never missed in a family gathering.

Anonymous said...

This is personally one of my most faovrite middle eastern dishes! And the story behind it was vegry touching. I will make sure to not miss out on this reciepe. I relate so much, it is so true that these sweets are never missed in a family gathering.

Chloe Pacle said...

These look so delicious!!! I loved how explained it’s importance in your family and culture. I can’t wait to make these myself!!

Michaiah Stanford said...

Thank you so much for sharing, I am so glad to hear that this dish has helped you appreciate your culture more and gain a stronger bond with your family. The warbats look so delicious hopefully I can try them one day!

Arnold Porter Jr said...

This was great and made me hungry lol. I wanna try to make these one day. Nice intro too explaining how much free time u had we all have that now especially.

Alyssa Rivas said...

Thank you for sharing! I really like the format that its written in. I also really enjoyed your introduction and it gave great insight into your culture.

Lauren Perez said...

This recipe was really broken down and easy to follow. I will have to make some of these myself they look amazing!

Emily Berdeja said...

I was so intrigued by your title and just had to learn more about these! I love how passionate you are about endulging and sharing your beautiful culture. Very clear and specific directions. I hope to try these, they sound delicious!

Anonymous said...

This is such a nice dish ! Me and my family love to cook so I will definitely be suggesting this! -Leah Thompson

Mya Bailey said...

Directions were clear and very well organized. I can't wait to give this dish a try.