Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

"Fountain Pen Diplomacy " by Jerry F



     Streaks of emerald green flow smoothly down a piece of rough tan-white papyrus, curving into something much like the resemblance of two olives branches. Cuddled in between the branches, firm streaks of sapphire blue form circle within circle within circle. Within these circles, the same glistening emerald green trails again, painting a myriad of irregular shapes with a collection of small and big blobs scattered across the interior of the large circle. 

     It took many years for me to fully understand the meaning behind this emblem: it was the logo of the United Nations. 

......................... 

     During the scorching summer of 2010, I very reluctantly packed my bags, left everything behind, and moved to a foreign land: Shanghai, China. This would be the first time I would live permanently in another country. 

     When we arrived, I immediately took notice of the differences of this uniquely unfavorable environment I just landed in. As I got off the plane, within 5 minutes, I felt a faint itchiness on my less, arms, neck; before long, I could count two dozen mosquito bites. Outside, there were no clear, blue skies like there were in Dublin (CA), just gloomy, pale gray clouds sitting miserably over us. In fact, I could barely even see the sky; my vision, blurred by the starkness of these giant concrete structures, could see nothing but thick walls of gray and glass. There were no beautiful green lawns that rippled in the wind like there were at home, nor any “roofs” of houses. Worse yet, we didn’t even have a car; we had to wait for taxis and buses. Going to the “Costco” in China, or Carrefour, was a whole day’s job. We had to leave in the morning, hop on the bus, get off, walk, shop, eat lunch, shop more, hop back on the bus during rush hour with our dozen bags of groceries, then walk all the way back home with those groceries in hand. We couldn’t just jump in the car, go to Costco, and leave in two hours. That was a joke. 

     However, over time, I got used to the new environment, and I began to appreciate the little changes in my life. Everyday, I’d go to school without needing my parents to send me. The students all spoke English, and most of my teachers were actually white, much to my surprise. In general, people were much nicer than they were at home, and everyone treated each other like family. Ironically, I felt much more “free” living in China than I did at home. Back in Dublin, I couldn’t leave 100 meters from home by myself without worrying about potentially getting kidnapped or getting sent home by the police, but, in Shanghai, I could ride the subway a whole hour away with my friends feeling completely safe. In addition, I didn’t have to drive to Target to buy myself things; I could just walk to the local store and buy things for myself. After all, life wasn’t as bad as I thought it would’ve been. 

     Some of my biggest passions were also developed in Shanghai, including my love for learning about the world’s history and countries, and my love for fountain pens. Since living in Shanghai, I’ve had an uncontrollable “utensil-mania”; I frequented the wen-ju(stationary) stores in China almost everyday after school, hoping to pick out a cool pen. I loved to see the cool designs and intricate details of the pens, especially how the inner gears of springs and barrels worked together to produce beautifuls trails of ink; at home, every so often, I would take my fountain pens out of my pencil case and carefully bring them over to the sink to give them a good rinsing and polishing. My classmates always asked me why I treated my “simple writing tools” with so much care. They don’t see what I see. To me, these pens were chef d’oeuvres, royal masterpieces of art waiting to be appreciated. 

     Back in America, my addiction continued as my love for history intensified. I spent hours upon hours researching the history of the fountain pen, the best brands, etc. At school, when I pulled out my fountain pens, students always marvelled at the sight of such an alien product, asking, “Is that a pen?!” Even some teachers who borrowed my pens asked, “How do I even use this thing?” It shocked me. I thought everyone knew what a fountain pen was. In China, my cousins used them; even my friend who came from France said students in France used fountain pens. 

.........................
     
     Years later, looking down at my pen in hand, I am reminded of the challenges that our society still faces. In the beginning, I dreaded the idea of moving to China, and I stuck with a closed mind; however, after having gotten accustomed to the new environment, I came to appreciate the little changes in the environment that made Shanghai the city that I loved. That same ignorance that I had regarding China can be symbolized by the use of a simple pen, that there are still many people who are sheltered from the knowledge of the world, potentially skewing their view of other countries, ultimately creating misunderstandings. In a United, International Community, it is so important for us to know just a little about our neighbors, their traditions, lifestyles, cultures, etc. So, from my experience of living in a developing country, I learned how important it is to be globally aware, to keep an open mind, and to never judge a book by its cover.

27 comments:

Salamah Salamah said...

Stunning! Suspenseful! And Electrifying!
Reading through your story I felt as if I was in your own shoes. Your use of visual imagery from the moment you stepped onto the airplane to China was astonishing. You made it seem that China is a terrible place in the beginning but the tone shift beautifully merges from disappointment to surprisingly happy and how as a unite world, we should not overlook a country the same way we judge a book by its cover.

Anonymous said...

What a cool experience! I love how you related your experience to the pen because it was a key part of your story. As someone who is also a stationary geek I can totally relate! Great story and detail about the differences in China and the US.

Shreeya Candipali said...

I have to admit, I did look up the logo of the United Nations, and what a great description (and way of introducing your story), mon lapin! The contrast you made between the sights in China and your past images in America made it easier to understand exactly what you were experiencing as you stepped foot in the new environment. The explanation of your self-discovery in Shanghai helped me learn more about you and now I understand your interest in fountain pens, oh desole, vos chef d'oeuvres. I always thought that you were just trying to be better than us, ballpoint pen users. Tu es incroyable et merci pour votre histoire, mon lapin!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your story as a stationary geek myself! It really cool how you have experiences living an American lifestyle and experiences living in China and how you are able to compare them. I really enjoyed how you related your experiences and related it back to the pen, it really makes the story come full circle!

Isabella Patterson said...

The vivid imagery and detail in this piece if absolutely astounding from the description of the emblem to the description of the differences in culture. I love how you described how you were unsure about Shanghai at first, but instead of just saying "it grew on me" you went on to describe what parts of the culture you came to appreciate. Great job on this piece! -Isabella Patterson

Kaj Miranda said...

I loved how you tied in the story of how your love for fountain pens started to symbolize the ignorance our society faces and then came to the realization of the challenges that our society goes through. You said that we are all sheltered from the knowledge of the world and the misunderstandings that come with ignorance and I agree with that and I feel that we should all be at least a little educated of other traditions, cultures, etc.. so we don't misinterpret or judge someone else's culture because it can be offensive despite a person not having any offensive intent. I also love the moral of your story of not judging a book by your cover because I agree that we should not be judgmental people and that we should get to know people before we assume without even knowing a person or from hearing any rumors without even knowing if they are true or not.

Anonymous said...

This was a great, well thought out story. I loved all of the detail you brought to small things such as the fountain pen, and all of the cultural aspects of China. I also liked how you tied in the universal theme from the story, to real life. I liked the lesson of not judging a book by its cover and being globally aware.

Sabrina Musharbash said...

I love the way you use something seemingly unimportant like a pen to show how ignorant our society can be. People think that just because we live in America and are surrounded by so many different cultures that we couldn't possibly be so ignorant, but in reality we are. Reading about your experience in Shanghai and how it's turned you into a globally aware citizen is amazing.

Kori Yun said...

That's an interesting takeaway from your trip to China. Also, how your passion for fountain pens differs according to location was very intriguing to read about. Overall, good job!

Brianna Yang said...

Wow Jerry! I became intrigued from the first sentence with your vivid imagery of the powerful symbol your pen created. I can relate to the feeling of entering a foreign country when you were young and having to slowly adjust to the changes. I can imagine the struggles you have faced through your close comparisons between Dublin and Shanghai and the eventual love you developed for your new home. Amazing essay!

Anonymous said...

Your usage of high vocabulary really exceptional and makes the sentences look better! (Myriad, starkness, rippled) Nice sneak of your passion for french at the end there. I love your overall message for this entire story, to be more aware, be more educated on everything, as I always like to say, in anything, in a debate, in a conversation, you have to know the details of both sides of the spectrum, when someone doesn't have that capability, they are merely spouting things that aren't nearly as accurate as it can be. So I'm glad you pointed out this universal message.

Anonymous said...

Now I know why you are so obsessed with fountain pens! You did a really good job of setting the scene using description. I also liked how you took the time to develop and describe everyday experiences that made them seem special. Thanks for giving us insight into your hobbies and experiences!

Amitoj Bajwa said...

I enjoyed how much detail and thought that was put into this piece. The tone shifts in between the piece made me want to read more. As a whole, this was done very well.

Anonymous said...

Woah! Your ability to create such vivid imagery through your writing astounds me. I started to feel like I was there with you experiencing the greatness of fountain pens. I also found your narration of your travel through China to be very fascinating. Fantastic essay Jerry! Keep up the great work.

Kira S said...

I absolutely loved this! The entire piece had a beautiful use of description and the development of the places and experiences gave another level of story telling. I especially found this piece intriguing and insightful on how important a simple pen is. - Kira S

Jolyei Griffith said...

This was very well written! I loved the description of all aspects of your journey and your growth from it. Who knew a fountain pen could mean so much to someone? I enjoyed your insight on the differences between American culture and Chinese culture, along with the diction and imagery, which contrasts that of America drastically.

Ifeoma Anyaogu said...

Your description of China and the way you contrasted the two cultures was really fun to read. your love for pens is just as big as my love for pens and it’s really refreshing to know that I’m not the only one who gets teased for having that love. Overall very interesting and great writing! :)

Anonymous said...

Your use of intense imagery and high-level vocabulary helped bring the story to life. Reading through the story, I felt as if I was seeing everything through your eyes as a child. The last paragraph does a great job of bringing closure to the story and has lots of great insight. - Tyler Denton

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved reading your story/relationship with the beautiful land of China you always talk to me about. The shift in tone where it began with disgust and unpleasant to a strong passion and transforming of yourself as a person was amazing to read. Good job.

Annabelle Erickson said...

You have an eloquent way of writing, so much so that as I was reading I had to double-take. I had to remind myself that this was not a published memoir! Wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

I love the attention to detail that was put in this piece! the readers can place themselves with you throughout the story. I also love the personal feel you get when reading this story! - Simerpreet Dhesi

Darylle Abuan said...

I never thought an obsession with fountain pens could be connected with living in another country, which you had done here so smoothly and had me quite intrigued. Your awareness of the differences between living conditions at an age of pure growth and learning definitely exposes open-mindedness that everyone must have. Living elsewhere after experiencing life in the United States brings about new perspectives, appreciations, and approach to lifestyle as growth brings realization to those around you. It eliminates ignorance in the mindsets of many and can highly and potentially solve solve social issues that face today's (and before's) society. Beautiful piece, Jerry!

Kaylee Tao said...

I find it crazy how you were able to tie this minuscule object to something of deeper meaning in such a well written manner. It was a beautiful way to demonstrate the significance of embracing the cultures and lifestyles of those beyond our own. I loved every aspect of your piece, from the specific details of each moment to the overall message you wanted to convey.

Ibrahim Elhajjmoussa said...

I too have always been obsessed with fountain pens and the symbolism that they provide. Although I had already though that fountain pens were one of the greatest inventions in history, your piece had confirmed that assumption. I especially like how you made the reader seem like they were with you in your piece. I love it and please keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing story! I never knew how much you liked fountain pens. I loved how you used your unique characteristic to relate back to how you lived your life while you were in China, and your imagery from the beginning all the way through was so captivating. This was so interesting, thank you for sharing! - Eddie Yanez

Anonymous said...

I love the attention to detail that was put in this piece! the readers can place themselves with you throughout the story. I also love the personal feel you get when reading this story! - Simerpreet Dhesi

Immanuel Babatunde said...

A complete and enjoyable story to read. The structure of your story went perfectly with the reflections you drew from your experience. It was interesting finding out something as simple as a fountain pen led you to develop your love of history and the love of different world cultures. Reading about how you developed a passion for something i also have a joy of was pleasantly enjoyable. You had great way of telling your story in a captivating way. Great job!