Pages

Friday, April 5, 2019

"Untitled" by Evanne T


            Flashback all the way to 2012. I’m 13 years old finishing a tournament in Arizona.  I pack all of my luggage and shove it the van with Nae’s luggage (my partner in crime). she’s only 13 years old too.  We are traveling across country to Atlanta GA. while we are waiting to load the vans my parents come up to tell us to be safe and kick butt in Georgia.  As we drive to the airport my head dropped and terror fills my body. I have never been this far away from my parents.  When we get to the airport and I get my ticket, check in my bags and then TSA takes my carry on totally apart.  They took everything, my gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash.  You name it, they took it! I’m now full  every emotion possible.  Who would take all of the necessary items from an innocent girl wanting to be clean and have silky hair? The total cost was approximately $70.00. After 30 minutes I finally make it to the gate and get on the plane. Then it hits me, I am going to be over 2,500 miles away from my parents.  Nae realizing I’m having an internal panic attack and tries to make me understand that we have each other and we are practically adults taking care of ourselves.  She then says “we go where we want, when we want” At least that’s how we thought is would be. Until I  found out that the basketball camp took up our whole day.  By the third day I had my routine down pack.
In my 13 year old head, I am grown taking care of everything that my parents would have taking care of.  After that trip it became easier and easier to travel without my parents.  They trusted me to be smart, safe and of course kick butt on the court!
            Flash all the way forward to the present.  I’m basically and adult. In less than 3 months I’ll be on my own 7 hours away from home, at least for the next 4 years.  I expect my parents will want to spend more time with me, but at the same time give me more freedom.  Day to day it changes. I’m either their baby girl, a not so young adult, or a prisoner of the house. My mother wants to do everything with me. From going to the mall to brushing our teeth together in the morning. Other days they’ll both say “Get out of my face” and I take that as a way to go hang out with my friends. Then other days, when I’m on house arrest and cleaning all day or i stay in my cell also known as my room. I think my parents have officially lost their minds and forgot that I'm not a kid anymore. My mother tried to put a tracking app on my phone. I can not figure out what would make her do this in my last couple of months at home. If I am able to cross the country at thirteen by myself without a tracker, I can drive around the Southern California without one. Granted i do come home late sometimes but everyone does that here and there. But i always inform both of my parents where i am going and who I am with. Having a tracker is almost equivalent to being on parole with an ankle monitor. Just to reiterate I have been across the country numerous times by myself and all of sudden now is the time to get the tracker.  Neither of my parents have really said more than a few words on the subject which is fine with me. I have been brushing it off and explaining to both my parents why it's such a weird idea. I would get it, but knowing my parents they would use it for evil. There is no reason to track me if I tell them all the information the tracker would provide. It's been about a week or so of me avoiding getting this app. I'm going to try and avoid it as long as I can. I will do what it takes to keep this lil freedom I don't really have. I could give a million and one reason why i don't need it or the extreme and just pass out whenever the word tracker is mentioned.  I'm 18 and seen as an adult I will not get this tracking app if it's the last thing I do. Can someone please tell my mom the tracker is a bad idea for the reason explained above. I am an adult but its her world and i'm living in it and I would love to continue  living.

           







18 comments:

Isabella Carrillo said...

Evanne, you did a very good job explaining your flashback and how it has affected you to this day. The way that you feel with your parents is so relatable to so many of especially being seniors. Good job.

Ivan Larrondo said...

I like how you combined two personal experiences and used one to support your argument in another. Both of these events seem very exciting and I wish you the best of luck resolving this dilemma.

Mackenzie Tipple said...

I understand your frustration but at the end of the day it's best to look at it as your parents wanting you to be safe rather than having you live in their world. It will get better and they will begin to trust you more, just keep your head up. I liked how you started your piece with a story from the past. Great work!

Anonymous said...

Evanne, I relate a lot to this piece, as a person with over-protective and, at times, overbearing parents, who aren't ready to let go of their child just yet. I feel that the tracker app is a symbol of your parents' control, even when you are legally an adult, heading off to college. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in getting your parents to budge about the tracker.
-Lance A. Aquino

Francis Anisi said...

Evanne, this was such an interesting piece to read! I find it strange how your parents let you travel across the country at 13, but are just now trying to put a tracking app on your phone. I can relate, my parents are really strict and rarely ever let me out of the house, not talk of getting to see my friends. Hopefully things work out for the both of us!

Anonymous said...

As a soon to be graduating senior who will most likely leave their parents to go off to college, I do know how parents can be when their child grows up old enough to be able to leave them. Having a tracker does suck, but it does at least show that your parents do care about your well being. I hope you do get rid of that tracker since you seem to show that you are becoming a responsible adult who wants independence. Good luck! -Jacob Ramirez

Audrie Torres said...

Evanne, I gotta say, I felt this on another level. My parents are the same way- they want me to succeed and go to college, but they dont want me to leave get there. I love my parents, but really, i'd love it if they let go. I hope your parents don't actually make you use a tracker. Best of luck!

Alejandro Marquez said...

Great job explaining the flash back in detail. My favorite part was where you explained your feelings of worriedness. As well as the recent events with the tracker on your phone was explained well with detail. good job

alicia kaing said...

Evanne, well done writing your story. I liked how you started off by mentioning that you have traveled without your parents as a 13 year old, and they were alright with that, and how they gradually became helicopter parents. I think most seniors can understand that as it gets closer to graduation day many are given less freedom. However, I see it as how our parents want to see us more, because after a couple months many of us are going off, they want to spend a bit more time with us. Great job once again!

Anonymous said...

Your descriptions in this piece were great. I really enjoyed how you related the flashback to present day. This was a very relatable piece and the amount of detail portrayed to the reader exactly how you were feeling. -Lindsay Slemboski

Alysha Santiago said...

I love the detail and raw emotion in this piece. You were very descriptive and it added depth to your story, allowing me to relate as a reader. Student athletes are definitely a different breed, I understand exactly how you felt at 13 and especially how you feel now. Really nice job! I wish you the best of luck for the future.

Anonymous said...

Evanne this was such an amazing piece to read! Your story was totally relatable and your method of using a flashback to tell your story was captivating. Good job :)
- Camryn Greer

Anonymous said...

I liked how you connected your childhood memory to the present and then used that to support why you don't need a tracker. I know some people that their parents made them install it and they hate it. I know the feeling of having overprotective parents. I'll pray for you sis

Anonymous said...

Hi Evanne, amazing job in describing your flashback and its detail. I really liked how you provided events that showed how you have grown up and that having a tracker on your phone is unnecessary. I liked the details you provided throughout your blog. Also, parents will worry about us no matter what age we are cause they care for us.
- Karen V.

Anonymous said...

Great Job Evanne, I love how relatable this could be for all of us teens starting our new lives and going off to college. I enjoyed the flashback leading into the present and all the detail.

Adam Huizar said...

Well it really must suck to have helicopter parents, I don't have anything like that, or even a close variation. I feel very free, seeing stories like kids that live like this astounds me. I am so sorry for how it's been. - Adam Huizar

Nicholas Santamaria said...

This was a great piece! I enjoyed how personal and detailed your memory was. I was easily able to imagine the whole situation and circumstances you were in. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Evanne this was such a great piece and I really loved how you were able to tell us about a personal event that some of should be able to relate to. Have fun playing college ball!
~ Tanner Antonucci