Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

"Untitled" by Sandra S


Five, six, seven, breathe! 

The morning sky was cloudy, and the air was cold, reading 52 degrees fahrenheit. As gloomy as the day appeared, the events following the day would be ingrained in my head as some of the happiest memories I have ever experienced. 

I arrived at Ben’s house at 7:30 A.M. with increasing concern that he was not picking up after several phone calls or answering the front door after knocking hundreds of times. Following a series of panicked text messages and additional phone calls with the other members of our group in regards to his whereabouts, a sleepy Ben looked outside the window, to which I responded by yelling at him to hurry up and get his things. Chuckling to myself with amusement, I messaged our group, “He overslept!” 

Despite the error of Ben’s ways, I was relieved to find that we still arrived at the Redlands University Chapel quite early --- about fifteen minutes before 9:00. Entering the chapel, the room was darkened, yet still dimly lit from the few rays of sunlight hitting the glass. By the time our conductor motioned the downbeat at 9:00, where everyone was situated in their seats and warmed up, bright and warm rays of sunlight hit the black and white notes through the colorful stained glass from the windows, and the massive portrait of Jesus Christ and his apostles behind the ensemble came to life with vivid colors of red, blue, yellow and green. 

To say that I loved the concert repertoire is an understatement. These were some of the best and most challenging pieces I ever got to rehearse and eventually perform. For the last time before the concert that was to follow five hours later, I basked in the exciting fast sixteenth-note runs of “Vanity Fair” by Percy Fletcher, the slow intensity of “Sheltering Sky” by John Mackey, the mysteriousness of “Eternal Memoir: Saga of the Lucky Dragon” by Hirokazu Fukushima, and the regality of “The White Rose March” by John Philip Sousa. 

After our final rehearsal, my friends Ben and Ryan, who I have known since middle school and met through music, walked the grassy courtyard in front of the chapel. Us three walked side-by-side down the leaf-carpeted sidewalks lined with large and grand trees, reminiscing and laughing about past middle school memories. I recall looking at them and marvelling at how much they have grown since sixth grade. We unknowingly walked a long distance, and we each looked back behind us to see the chapel way behind us and shrunken in size. We walked back to my parents’ car when they arrived to pick us up, innocently counting how many cemented squares that were placed on the sidewalks we strolled over. 

The sun had set and the sky was streaked with pink clouds amidst a blue and purple sky. Our group of Etiwanda musicians arrived back to the chapel and we transformed from casual
street clothes to sleek, black and elegant tuxedos and concert gowns. Taking our seats in the audience, the high school honor ensemble watched and listened to the elementary and middle school ensembles, and the students from my old middle school amongst the group of etiwanda students were hit with a wave of nostalgia to hear the younger ensembles play pieces from when we were beginner musicians.
When it was finally time for the high school ensemble to perform, I felt the familiar sensation of adrenaline running through my body that always came before any performance. The stage lights shined bright on our faces, the air felt heavier, and the audience seemed far away as they were shadowed in the darkness. As I brought my instrument to my lips, I geared to perform my best, and I savored every moment of every piece we played through. Looking back at recordings of our performance, each and every member moved with certain body language that communicated unison soul and passion for music. 

My experience in the 2018 San Bernardino County Honor Band with the other thirteen students from Etiwanda High School is, to this day, one of the most prominent experiences of where I can remember why I love playing and performing music so much. Not only has music led me to create wonderful memories and friends that have lasted me for years, but it has also granted me the opportunity to illustrate and communicate my heartfelt emotions for music towards others, who I hope were able to feel the same way about music the way I do.

16 comments:

Melody Lin said...

It's really cool that you were able to keep your love for music and band for so many years. In addition, the details in your blog post capture the moments after your final rehearsal give off happy emotions which is really heartwarming. I really enjoyed reading your post, good job!

Skylir Ford said...

Sandra, I truly love this eloquent and well-written piece; your ability to transform a simple account of events that had a big impact on your life into a nostalgic yet good-feeling piece of work is amazing. I especially enjoyed how you used thoroughly detailed imagery to describe the interior and location of the Redlands University Chapel, as well as the grassy courtyard in front. I also love how you emphasized that you had met your two good friends through music, had gotten to watch them grow up (truly nostalgic), all under the umbrella of music and performance. Not to mention I loved how you wrote almost epithet-like descriptions of particular pieces that you performed- of which I could almost imagine them! Gah I love so many things about this piece!! Nice work!!

Lilian Hung said...

The description from the rehearsal to the performance was amazing. I felt like I could see what you saw and felt what you felt. Having this opportunity to play your heart out in an honor ensemble with a lot of your friends is great and your details describing the emotions you felt really came out from your story.

Brianna Jimenez said...

I really liked how you described one of the most important and exciting days for you with so much detail, it helped me as reader envision this day and it showed your passion for music and the emotions you felt. Over all, the the way you wrote your blog was great. :)

Anonymous said...

This is such a great story, I could almost feel the excitement you must have felt just from the details you gave from your performance. It must have been such an amazing feeling playing in such a great band, I'm so happy everything went well!
- Ivan Mejia (Per.5)

Alysha Santiago said...

Wow, this piece is beautiful. I remember the middle school band days, unfortunately I wasn’t one of the strong ones who continued to pursue it throughout high school, definite props to all of you:) I love the detail as you reflected back on your beginning years of being a musician. Your writing is very calm and serene, while also exciting and inspiring. I applaud you for your hard work, dedication, and success and especially how well you were able to put it into words for all of us to enjoy!

Paul Aureus said...

Sandra I loved all the details you included within your story. It really painted the atmosphere and visuals you yourself experienced which made me feel as if I was right there with you. Great work -Paul Aureus

alicia kaing said...

Sandra, the story telling point of view of the story was great! It was easy to understand what your emotions were through the event and the whole process. I also liked how you included that you knew and connected with your friends through a common interest and stayed friends for years, that's very rare to find. Once again the story was great!

Kaili F said...

This is so cute omg! I loved the introduction to this story with the "sleepy Ben." Your vivid imagery in describing the atmosphere, mood, and music made me feel as if I were there in this moment. Your passion for music shows and I hope you continue to pursue music throughout college.

Dania Fauzi said...

Sandra, this piece was such a cute read, and I really enjoyed how you spoke about your journey through music education. I can really tell from your writing that you love the activity and found something you're both talented in and truly enjoy. Great job!

Kyleigh Leonard said...

Sandra, you did Ana amazing job setting the scene and keeping the reader enticed in the story with the descriptions you used. This was a very interesting story because it had so much too it, it wasn’t simply about music or anyone topic, you really allowed the reader to understand you. You did so great. -Kyleigh Leonard

Kyleigh Leonard said...

Sandra, you did Ana amazing job setting the scene and keeping the reader enticed in the story with the descriptions you used. This was a very interesting story because it had so much too it, it wasn’t simply about music or anyone topic, you really allowed the reader to understand you. You did so great. -Kyleigh Leonard

saima shahzad said...

Sandra, this story was full of so much interesting detail that i couldn't get enough of! you did a really good job of describing what you saw and felt throughout the day. overall, your entry was great :)
-saima

Sara Harvey said...

Sandra, I’m really glad to read about something you enjoy so much! Your writing is so descriptive and you used such great imagery that I found the story captivating. I almost felt like I was there with you! I think your passion for music really shows in this piece and that’s what makes it so good.

Karen Loeung said...

Sandra, I love how passionate you are towards music and how you were able to stay that way for so long! The emotion and details that you used throughout this piece to describe your last practice was very heartwarming. Overall, this was very well-written and interesting to read, great job!

Anonymous said...

Sandra, I really appreciate your passion towards the arts and how you maintained that for so long. This was a very well-written piece, and really gave me an insight into the life of someone involved in band.