Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

"Grind Time" By Salman A.

     When i was younger i used to be the only one home with my babysitter. The only thing i wanted to do when i was alone was watch tv, but i didnt no how to change the channels. Thus, whenever i turned on the tv the only channel would be playing was ESPN’s Basketball Classics. I was really intrigued by the the intensity of how the basketball players played. The way they emphatically complained when they missed simple shots always amused me. I would go hours and hours watching basketball and soon enough when i went to Toys R i begged for my parents to buy me a Fisher Price junior basketball set. My parents eventually did buy me that and that's when the dream of becoming an NBA player began. Every Day for almost every hour, i would bounce my mini basketball around the house imitating the intensity of how the players on tv dribbled the ball. My mother would scream at me as i would just bounce the ball around the house breaking anything in my site, but my inner five year old self knew the ball was going to take me places.

      I would go to my neighborhood park and practice playing basketball with my elementary peers. I felt that everything i had watched on tv was starting to become a reality. A Lot of years passed and i found myself in high school. I finally got a pass to 24 Hour Fitness and i was really jovial about getting to play basketball their. I remember stepping on the court and seeing the all the men playing basketball. I thought to myself, wow these guys all have beards and tattoos, and i'm just a mere kid. I felt worried and almost didn't want to play, but i got trapped when someone picked me on their team. As we played everything that i had imagined would happen did not happen. I air balled my first shot and i lost the ball as soon as someone passed it to me. Every Time I ran back and forth across the court, i felt as if my confidence was depleting, and it almost felt as if i had never played basketball. I remember hearing what one of my teammates had to say about me. “Man this guy ****** sucks!” As soon as the game was over i sat on the bench and waited for a whole hour. No one gave me another chance to play again that day.

      I laid on my bed and tried to think what went wrong. I turned on the TV and found myself to ironically turn to ESPN’s Basketball Classics. This time the whole segment was based on Kobe Bryant. I watched the tapes and studied vigorously how Kobe Bryant, a 17 year old at the time, was competing against veterans. This was then followed by an interview, in which Kobe was asked the same question that i had. “Kobe how is a kid like you who just came out of high school able to step on the court and play against people who have been in the league for more than 10 years.?” And with no emotion, Kobe simply replied, “Because I'm the best.” I felt as if everything i had been taught was a lie. How could a simple self assertion make one feel so astronomical? I realized that it must’ve worked because look how far it got Kobe. Thus i started to use that assertion in my everyday life. I used it at school and most importantly when i played basketball.

      The next time i stepped on the basketball court at 24 Hour Fitness, i felt different. I kept on repeating in my mind how i was the best and nobody in the world is better than me. When i got the chance to play i made sure that i was going to make this remarkable. As i got the ball i stared in my defender’s eyes and shot the ball from so far. And thank God the shot went. I continued to play at an optimum rate and was doing all the moves that i had studied when i was younger. And because i was playing so good, i ended up staying at the gym later than usual because everyone wanted to play with me. Even the same people who used to say i would never be good, were in shock

     Confidence is everything. With self confidence you can achieve anything. There will always be people who will tell you how you can do this or that, but they're wrong because only you know what you achieve. As high schoolers, we face many stressful situations. But, Just remember to instill confidence because you can do anything you set your mind to!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

wow. So this is how your passion for basketball all began? Can't say that I'm surprised.
I'll be honest I never really took your passion for basketball seriously in the past but the way you narrated your experience has actually made me respect you a lot more for it.
By incorporating the story where you failed and made a lot of mistakes playing helped contribute to its relevance. Everyone has performance issues and while you state that you're "the best" it worth more that you have been able to mold your perspective and learning from direct failure and the realization that the image you have for yourself can easily be shattered.
Overall, your blog had a nice flow to it. Nice syntax!!

samantha Quintanilla said...

You know, when i scrolling down the November writers and i saw "Grind Time" and than i saw your name, i HAD to read it. "the ball was going to take me places" was one of my many favorite lines in this piece. Same as Lauren i never knew this is where your infatuation with basketball came from but honestly it seems like something you would say. It was pretty funny to read because i know how you are but it was also really nice to see how "Salman" came to be, great use of vocab and it was an entertaining piece, really nice job! 10/10 would read again.

Unknown said...

I was surprised to learn that you were so committed to basketball. I knew you loved to play but I didn't know your aspirations went this far and for that I really respect you. Great job narrating where your love for basketball all began. When you finally make it to the NBA i'll be able to say I knew you way back since middle school! Great job and I hope you never give up your dream!

Alexis Carmona said...

I totally get it now. You really love basketball and one could clearly see that in you're piece. I honestly wasn't expecting this from you. But I really liked how you used your life and the difficulties you overcame to encourage others to always feel confident. Great job!

Brianna Barajas said...

I loved this story. Your passion for basketball is great. I played at my old middle school and as I was getting ready to shoot a free throw I would hear the crowd roaring, my heart would pound and my mind would focus on the net. Once I dribbled, I shot and the ball went right in. From experience, I can tell you practice and confidence is the key. I was raised to play basketball and softball. I have nothing but brothers. I was on the court all the time with them and when I was younger they'd tell me, "you suck" but they weren't any better. Now after practicing and keeping confidence they say on the court, "you stay strapping 3's". Follow your dreams. Anything is possible as long as you set your mind to it.

Dom said...

This piece was very inspirational. The things that you were saying are very true and it seems as though u learned a very valuable life lesson from playing basketball and that's to have confidence in yourself no matter what you're doing in life. Many would mistake Kobe's response for arrogance but you took it as motivation and turned it into a good thing that helped you get through a tough time in your life.I you commend for that. From playing basketball from a young age ,I had to learn the same exact thing so I can relate to the emotions that you were expressing and it's good to hear that you overcame that obstacle .

Dominique Washington
Period 2

Unknown said...

Admittedly I think it's so amusing when you talk about Kobe and basketball because you used Kobe so frequently last year in Mr. Hall's class. In fact, before I even began reading this, I did a quick "Ctrl+F" search to see how many times Kobe's name would be in this submission (7 times, by the way).
All jokes aside, I loved reading about how your passion for Kobe and the game began. It's very inspirational to me how a little bit of confidence went a very long way for you and I'm glad you discovered your niche at a very young age. It's so ironic how people can go their entire lives actively searching for their passion when sometimes the best passions are found accidentally, like how you did. I also appreciate how your confidence didn't come off as arrogant or egotistical while I was reading this; it greatly adds to the maturity and seriousness of your topic.
This personal reflection was written very eloquently because of all the anecdotes you included as evidence. I find your self-discovery and success very inspirational. Whenever I feel like beating myself up, I'll try to remember your message about confidence and utilize it to better myself. I hope you do become an NBA star someday.

Unknown said...

I can easily tell this story isn't exaggerated even one bit. You talk about basketball at school and even our SAT school. This piece was well written and I'm glad that I now know the full backstory on where your interest in basketball developed from. I'm glad that you took criticism in a positive way and just let your passion burn through. Instead of basketballs, I see that your threw in some SAT vocab words in as well. I hope you keep going Salman!

Unknown said...

I can easily tell this story isn't exaggerated even one bit. You talk about basketball at school and even our SAT school. This piece was well written and I'm glad that I now know the full backstory on where your interest in basketball developed from. I'm glad that you took criticism in a positive way and just let your passion burn through. Instead of basketballs, I see that your threw in some SAT vocab words in as well. I hope you keep going Salman!

Unknown said...

This is so inspirational, this truly portrays your confident personality. I knew that you liked basketball, and its interesting to read about how your passion for it began. Overall I think it was a great piece including humor and bits of reality. However, there was a couple grammar mistakes in the beginning, which also added into the whole humor aspect. Besides that, I truly enjoyed your piece. Good job Salman! and don't give up on your dreams! We believe in you!

Deven Kiphen said...

I liked reading this because I believe that everyone can take something from it. Whether it be, you love basketball or if you need some inspiration. I like your "you can do anything you put your mind to" attitude. Great job. :D Pd. 2

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I really love this piece it is very inspirational. I always knew that you enjoyed basketball because I remember seeing you play it during summer school. Honestly if I ever needed some type of inspiration all I would have to do is read your piece. I just never knew the background of why you liked basketball so much and know I know. Thank you for inspiring me to never give up on my dreams. GREAT JOB!
PD.5
Kayla Weathers

Unknown said...

After reading this, all I can say is that you truly love basketball. Basketball is personally my favorite sport as well but your passion for it is much greater than mine. I really like the inspirational story. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed how you shared your life experiences to talk about how exactly your love for basketball. My love for basketball grew basically the same way; watching the classic basketball games (especially seeing Kobe play.) This was a great piece, and being a huge basketball fan I can relate to some of these feelings as well. Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Good story Sally, I had no idea this is where you got your skills from bro. You really do destroy in the court and it is pretty I opening to this is why. I love the passion and integrity you had and thank god you didn't stop playing bro.

Janus Baetiong said...

Great job, Salman! I love how you explained your journey of discovering self-confidence, as well as how you live it out in your everyday life. I'm very amused by this story, as it shows a lot about the person you are, built by your interest in basketball and Kobe's career. Wonderful job!

Christian Zaldivar said...

It's great to see a story about sports on here for once! Thank you for sharing this with us and allowing me to see the development of self-confidence that is found in all great athletes. I really enjoyed how you shared your experience at the gym with us since it acted as a source for humor while still making us think about what you are trying to say. I can admit that I am also guilty of watching the same highlights and drawing the same observations as you. In order to be successful at whatever it is you do, you need to have confidence in your ability to do it.

Unknown said...

Kobe . . . enough said. Great to see some sports in the writing blog, especially coming from the man himself. Excellent use of diction throughout the piece, as it set the mood for a prime time game on TNT, with Kevin Harlan calling the shots from the Target Center with Kobe on court. No matter what skill level a person has it comes down to confidence, sticking to your game and grinding it out. Well done.

Unknown said...

Like Connor said... KOBE! I am a fan as well as you are so I've really connected with this piece. Many of us have fallen down but few can get back up. I'm glad that you are one of those elite few. This piece can really help out those suffering through lack of self confidence so I really recommend this to anyone dealing with that issue. Thank you for the read!