Pages

Monday, August 31, 2015

"Convention and Quality" by Jeannette M


If you are an artist who would like to fuel your emotions, I suggest you take a class regarding the category of art you are a slave to. I have found joy in challenging authority and ignoring the opinions of others, because I gain a sense of control over my life and my work. The worst thing we could do is become submissive.
In taking a Visual Arts Digital Photography Course over the summer, I had to decide, do I want to show people that I know the rules and I understand how to take an average stale picture? Or do I pursue the route I’m dying to follow and would actually make me happy? Is staying true to your art more valuable than receiving an A? I got to taste what many musicians struggle with. There are a few musicians that claim to stick to honest meaningful lyrics with money experiencing a lack of consideration during the writing process. I felt caught. Could I get the A and walk out the classroom and go back to sticking to my own art? Is that smarter? Or is that less respectable?
I knew ahead of time not to pitch any ideas to my professor or TA and just go for it, but out of boredom and being that last in the room, I showed my art that was collectively finished. My professor suggested I take photos more like how Laurie Laren Lee Lord Knows Who Yahoo captures hers. Then my professor suggested I even take them more like himself. Due to a collection of things, I felt drained. I gave up in entertaining people with my art that I felt passionate for and just fed them what they wanted. I still made it very much different but it wasn't the original concept that I wanted. The collaboration with Damairis Lao wasn't appreciated. But isn’t that how it goes? Art is never appreciated. Maybe if you’re lucky it’ll be valuable after you die, but there is a small chance of that. I don't want to be told what to see or how to feel or what to do and perhaps I should’ve just been deaf.
One day in my Junior English Class, I had a friend tell me that I took the class way to seriously. I noticed everyone was half asleep or talking without a care in the world. If you want to get anything out of this world, you have to take it seriously. One of the most influential people in my lives sat me down one day and told me its good to be reflective and take things seriously. I just laughed. It can be a pain. It can be isolating. Everyday usually is. It feels as though there’s a “quality “of thought that is diminishing amongst those around me.  I get teased all the time by my friends because I have to stop to take a picture. I begin to wail if I forget my camera and have to resort to my phone. Always in an art-hunting mode, I’m either taking pictures or picking up things or stealing signs or admiring graffiti. Graffiti artists want to leave their name on this world. That's what it comes to down to honestly. It’s not always about making this world dirty as most believe. Sometimes we need reminders that art is first and foremost about yourself whether you are viewing it or making it.
The purpose of art is to follow what you are feeling and if it makes people uncomfortable, than some may argue you are doing something right. According to the infamous Google, convention is “a way in which something is usually done, especially within a particular area or activity.” I have never been one to ever care for convention. My favorite photos, outside my little art world, are the blurry or off guard pictures I have taken with my sister. There is a story behind every one of those moments. There is meaning and a raw element to those photos because we are unaware of the camera or we are in the middle of moving. Laughter and joy cannot be forced nor recreated. It is luck that snatches those photos. The typical conventional photos, generic selfies, and whole instagram cultural appear to me in a very boring and monotone light.
My next attack is on the word “quality” which is described by Google as “ the degree of excellence of something; the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind.” If this is the case, my photos are low quality. I need to continue being the world’s lowest quality photographer and thinker. Quality is a subjective label. It can refer to the appearance of something or it can refer to only its level of function. What if there is nothing to compare to because the item is unique and purposely breaks the rules?  I find the story to be the most important factor in something rather than its alignment to a ruler or what the thing next to it looks like in order to compare. Quality and convention are not important to me. The story is.  




                                          Cheesy Photography That Got Me An A+ featuring zoom & noise
 


 

22 comments:

Braden Bailey said...

Wow, I found this both artistic in itself and also inspiring. I am a artist myself, I draw, and most people dont like my art. But I do, I know many people say that nobody appreciates art. And now after reading this I know I'm not the only one. Well done

Unknown said...

It is a liberating feeling to have the opportunity to read other people's works, but the one's that strike me as most personal are the one's in which my fellow artists put their struggle out for the world to see. Being in one facet of artistry (Theatre, acting), it's difficult to remember and acknowledge the fact that there are other artists out there that are starving for a chance to break societal norms and ideals that define art, but there are always the one's that actually break from those normative ideals and I see that essence in both this piece and you, Jeanette.

While the theme you've managed to contrive is "quality" and "convention," you've also managed to shine light on an ideal that many refuse to understand or synthesize: artists are the heroes of our world, of our society. They provide perspective, they provide a laugh, they give opportunities to remember a moment or experience it, to people who seldom get the chance to experience any of the aforementioned effects of art and they should not be subjected to forms of rules or regulations that define their art or themselves. But, I digress.

I'd like to just say that there isn't much literary analysis I can give, but a theme and a few forms of blighted and unexpected realizations. Whatever the case, thank you for that. I'm excited to see what you do with your photos and what you choose to do with your life, especially along the route of photography. It's refreshing to remember and know that there are people, heroes, like you, that help provide perspective that can ultimately give others a chance to become empowered and follow their dreams. Keep doing you.

xoxo
-j.

Unknown said...

This piece could not have been written any better. While reading this piece, I truly felt a connection to this. I have had a similar problem to this before when I was taking piano lessons. The reason why I started to take piano lessons, was because I really do enjoy the instrumental sound of it. I thought I would be able to play what I wanted and enjoyed, but that was not the case. I was forced to play songs that I never even heard. It took away my motivation of learning piano. As that was my story, I really do appreciate your writing. It made me realize that art has been taken for granted, when it should not have been looked at with such low appreciation. The work ethics that these artists put their heart and soul into it, should definitely be appreciated. It is their own style and it helps convey their personality through art.

Unknown said...

This paper has some very fine insights and interpretations in it.This paper itself is a piece of art and is very well written. I do believe that people do tend to forget to "enjoy themselves" and do things that make them happy. What is so fun about sticking to the rule/book? We should be able to express ourselves in a creative way, and Jeannette you have delivered that message clearly. Great job!

Hanna Brookshier said...

Thank you. Thank you. I dont think I can say that enough times on here to express how much I really appriciate this.I can feel that just from your writing that this has been a bottled up frustration that has been waiting to burst out of you. And I feel like that is the case for others, especially artists. There's this way that society treats them that, in a way, peer pressures them into making and creating things not for themselves but for society and if they do what they want to, they're viewed in a critical way. Thank you, for sharing your perspective of the situation because I never hear enough artists actually talk about this to others, and I'm glad I don't feel like the only one who feels like this as well.
-Hanna Brookshier

Unknown said...

Your piece was both thought provoking and well-written. The artwork displayed in your blog piece is absolutely amazing and shows that your true talent is staying true to who you are despite what others may say. Your emotions are genuine and I admire your honesty in your writing when pondering whether or not you should compromise who you are just for the "A". I'm glad you remained true to yourself, and likewise I also believe expression is not about what others may see as "quality", but what you as the artist perceive it to be. Thank you for sharing your artwork and I look forward to the day when others are as daring enough as you to express their individualism.

Miranda Hidalgo
period. 5

Unknown said...

I like this story because it showed how artist view themselves. Things like what the narrator is going throw could be insecurities for many young artists and is only healthy to question it. I certainly enjoyed the fact that the narrator explained how she doesn't include quality in art. You certainly don't think about it but when the narrator explains it I could tell it's true and made me too not include quality in art.
-Kiyah Mcgregor

Unknown said...

Wow, this piece showed a lot. I believe this story is valuable for reasons that, being creative is important. It's who you are and art and photography, all should be a place to show your creativity. People should be free to their own opinion and inspire the world for something that you did and not what someone wants you to do. This story had a beautiful tone, and this piece does prove how most art is being controlled by other people. Good job on this story.

Jorge Rodriguez
Period 5

cris said...

The subject you are talking about seems to be a sensitive one to many people, but you have made it very clear about how art should be. It should not be held to certain standards as some people think it should be. It must be creative and original! You have made a very good statement for the art community.

Cristopher Orellana
Period 5

Jakari Thomas said...

That's an interesting perspective of art. I myself am not artistic, but when I was reading through at the part where you said that the purpose of art is to follow what you are feeling and if it makes people uncomfortable, your doing something right, I began to think about poetry. In poetry, you can express yourself through different forms of figurative devices and rhetoric, and with a vast pool of words and methods at your disposal, the sky is the limit. The parts in poetry that lay bare the poet's deeper thoughts can make some uncomfortable, and maybe the exposure of their inner thoughts sets a standard for humanity of openness, of a typr of unity that allows people to confide in others with confidence. I believe that's what good art is, an open and creative expression of the artist's feelings or opinions that can come in multiple forms: poetry, books, photos, acting, painting, sculpting, dancing, singing, song writing, graffiti, journals, innovative invention, and all of these things contribute to culture, which ultimately ties masses of human beings together. Your photos contibute to the aspect of our unity through your expression of individuality as you endeavor to do what hasn't been done. We are a culture of free expression.

Jakari Thomas
Period 5

Jakari Thomas said...

That's an interesting perspective of art. I myself am not artistic, but when I was reading through at the part where you said that the purpose of art is to follow what you are feeling and if it makes people uncomfortable, your doing something right, I began to think about poetry. In poetry, you can express yourself through different forms of figurative devices and rhetoric, and with a vast pool of words and methods at your disposal, the sky is the limit. The parts in poetry that lay bare the poet's deeper thoughts can make some uncomfortable, and maybe the exposure of their inner thoughts sets a standard for humanity of openness, of a typr of unity that allows people to confide in others with confidence. I believe that's what good art is, an open and creative expression of the artist's feelings or opinions that can come in multiple forms: poetry, books, photos, acting, painting, sculpting, dancing, singing, song writing, graffiti, journals, innovative invention, and all of these things contribute to culture, which ultimately ties masses of human beings together. Your photos contibute to the aspect of our unity through your expression of individuality as you endeavor to do what hasn't been done. We are a culture of free expression.

Jakari Thomas
Period 5

Unknown said...

wow. that is literally the only word I can come to describe the piece I have just read. To see others being inspired and completely in love with their craft makes me feel like I am not alone. Your love for the medium which you express your feelings has shown me the passion which you hold inside yourself and the importance it holds to you. The way you were able to format the document was phenomenal and concise, making the text all the more enjoyable. Keep producing pieces of you that make you happy and inspire others to do the same!
-Elise Burgos Per.2

Unknown said...

You hit a nail on a head! As an artist myself I can completely relate to you and your passions! It's so refreshing and comforting knowing there's others too struggling with "convention and quality." Extremely refreshing piece, thank you for publishing!

Sweet Dulce said...

Yasss Jeannette. I was extremely intrigued the entire time reading this piece! It was very concise given the topic it is about, I feel that one can go on forever discussing this. You totally inspire me to have a different mind-set about learning and getting the most out of things. There is no doubt this is beautifully written, I admired the flow of your transitions and how it contributed to the overall structure of your piece.
~Dulce
Period 2

Unknown said...

True art and meaning is difficult to find and preserve these days. You have such an appreciation that reassures and inspires me to find quality and form among the tasteless blotches people like to call "art" or "innovation" or these new forms of "expression" which are completely lacking in true emotion and service to the people. Most artist say that they are being "real" but their lyrics are usually relentless vulgar towards a human bond that used to be sacred, while back ground artists incorporate more heart, soul and meaning into their work and are sadly unappreciated. You may not be noticed now, we all may not be noticed the way we want to, and we are labeled as something less, but you understand you and what you search in your art, we need more people like this who truly understand themselves and what they see, not the people others want them to be.
-P.S.

Anonymous said...

This piece reminded me the importance of staying true to yourself and not letting other factors influence your own ideals of happiness. The use of comparing your personal definition of art with "infamous Google" inputs your own personal voice which gives this piece its own uniqueness. I also admire your strong mentality of taking things seriously despite the fact that no one else takes those things seriously. Thank you!

Salman Ansari
Per 5.

Unknown said...

Art is an expression. It cannot be conform to follow rules and I completely agree the most things are restricted my rules. Restricting expression obstructs creativity and a form pf happiness. Your opinions are well written and tied to your summer tale. I love how you demonstrated you medium online. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Excellent piece of self expression and free mindedness. I applaud your use of every kind of sentence structure to get your points across, especially the parts you are most passionate about.

Eloy Guzman

Unknown said...

I love the very bold words you use such as "attack", to almost portray merely your strong emotions. The personal level you took your writing to was risky but appreciated. The way you opened up in some sentences to give glimpses into your own life give the reader a chance to become vulnerable with his/ herself and participate in some self reflecting over their own actions, thoughts, experiences, and stand-points. Excellent piece of writing to be commended!

Jordyn France
Per3
9/11/15
Cogswell

Unknown said...

I love the message you gave supporting the old saying that "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." and the universal message of self acceptance, appreciation, love, and admiration that not too many of the youth today really appeal to. As much as we'd love to show everyone who we truly are and not feel encaged in our own souls and being chained down by our own minds, we often tend to take the road more travelled in fear of loneliness and not being accepted by society. I truly agree that we should do things that we have a passion for and not submit to our own fear of embarrassment. I also love the amount of passion you have in your work and I've never truly understood you and many other artists' dilemma in your work. This piece is a very pleasing and enjoyable read! Thank you for sharing your experience and feelings with us!

Unknown said...

This was extremely well written. I felt like I was reading the words of an esteemed blog writer on something that only they can describe. Your perspectives were well captured and illustrated to readers like myself. The thing that I admired the most was that you really gave into your true feelings about art, showing your passion while still maintaining your own way of capturing it. Your honesty throughout on the perspective you have on art as well as the appreciation of such was amazing. Forget what others say or make you do, if you love doing something one way, do it the way you like.

Unknown said...

This is a good story u should make more I really liked it cause of how u used other sources to portra ur point