Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"Opening Eyes Opening Minds" by Megan G


Throughout the seventeen years of my life, I’m very proud of the values, morals, and ethics that were taught to me growing up.  I grew up with a father who practiced Judaism and a mother who practiced Christianity. Although these religions have different views, they have similar morals such as compassion.  My parents have shaped and instilled in me to be compassionate toward all people regardless what they look like, where they come from, or what they believe in.
In elementary school, the morals my parents taught were put to the test when I was given the opportunity to work with autistic children. When I was in my third grade class, my attention was grabbed by a boy who was taught separate from the rest of the class. I could not understand why he was given different class work, or why no one wanted to play with him at recess. One day before recess, I asked his teacher, Mrs. Porter, if I could play with the boy Connor because he was playing alone with her.  When I played with him at recess, a lot of the other children would tease Connor saying why someone so smart is playing with a kid so stupid that they need their own personal teacher. I did not see Connor the way others would and I would try to protect him from the cruel words the other classmates would say.
Despite the crude comments given by others, I continued playing at recess with him for the whole year.  I realized I had great compassion and patience for these children with their disability.  I would ask questions to his teacher and try to learn as much as possible from her. Mrs. Porter ignited a spark in me to pursue a career working with children that had mental disabilities.
During my sophomore year, I worked at Loma Linda Hospital as a volunteer. I requested to work with an occupational therapist to observe their daily routine working with mentally ill children. For six weeks I worked with an occupational therapist at the behavioral medicine center. I soon learned, not only did the occupational therapist work with autistic children, they also worked with children that had birth defects, birth injuries, sensory processing disorders, behavioral problems due to traumatic injuries, and mental health disorders. My eyes were open to the countless amount of people I could help and was eager to learn as much as I could in a limited amount of time.
From my religious influences from my parents to the experiences in school and my community, these have greatly shaped my values that one should have compassion for one another and to do so in a patient manner. These are the values that I hope to practice in my aspired career as an occupational therapist. When I treat my patients, I plan to see them as the person they are and not the disability they have. I would like to be there to celebrate every patient’s triumph with ongoing development and growth, and encouraging them to rise and continue with every struggle or set back.  These moral values have given me a great foundation to pursue my dreams and aspirations to help others in the field of behavioral medicine. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your piece truly inspiring. The piece really touched me personally, I happen to have a brother that suffers from autism and other functional disorders. I often worry that he is treated differently at school although your story gives me comfort knowing that there are amazing people such as yourself that understand kids with disorder. All in all, I admire your story and wish you the best, great job!

Merosa Uiagalelei
Period 5

Unknown said...

Megan, This was really eye opening. I have many family members with disabilities and its no laughing matter. Kids with disabilities are still people no matter what and I get upset whenever someone speaks badly of anyone who struggles with a disability. Its wonderful that you are working towards helping children with disabilities. Great work and the best of luck.!

Anonymous said...

This story is relating with my life in the future. I want to help the mentally ill as well because other people might just be some emotionless demon making fun of the ill. I wont just watch them be bullied or even worse be put on some stupid social media website so that everyone in the world would make jokes about that ill person. I want to help even if I get some negative comments about me. That's how much I care about people with disabilities. I love the way you perfectly describe yourself making friends with disabled people and that touches my heart.
Isaac Garcia
per 6

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites stories! its so touching and eye opening. this is a great piece of work.
period 6
izabel linn

Gian Velasquez said...

Aw Megan, this is so sweet of you, :)

Unknown said...

Megan, I am incredibly touched by your aspiration to help others. As someone who is related to and has worked with children with disabilities such as autism, it is nice to see someone so compassionate towards them. I would love more people to have the perspective you do and to see these people as more than just their disability. I am truly inspired and wish you the best!

Unknown said...

As an incoming college student, I'm kind of lost on my future path. But reading your piece about compassion is truly inspirational. I'm glad that you have found your passion and wish to pursue it. I enjoyed that you mention your personal background to show the audience that compassion doesn't come out of nowhere. Hopefully, I will find something that I am just as passionate about as you with compassion.

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I really admire how proud you are of your morals and values. I think today, our generation has lost sight of what they believe in and fail to stay true to who they are and what they stand for. Your piece is a representation of the benefits of sticking to morals for a better life.
Leasia Spicer
Period 4

MIka Ocampo said...

Your story was very inspiring to read, it's amazing when people are able to find something they are so driven and passionate about and work towards that goal despite all of the negativity that can surround them. Not to mention how you've kept your morals and compassionate attitude for others in the type of culture we're surrounded with; it was so fulfilling to read about.

Anonymous said...

Your story is incredibly written. I loved every bit from the connection between how you were brought up to how it reflects on how you intend to help children with disabilities. It's amazing to see how the experience you had with the boy is still apparent now that you're older.
Well done!

-Andrew Trinidad
Period 1

Fernando Mauri P1 said...

A definite tear-jerker! Perhaps my favorite aspect of the short story was that you mentioned playing with the kid Connor for the remainder of the year, because it is important to remember that the right decision is not always the most popular. I probably sound like an elder or a grandpa or something at this point. But I truly do believe that you will do great things, and your drive to create change is a model to follow.

Unknown said...

This is a very beautiful story with such a positive and uplifting message. The fact is there are people with certain disabilities who need the support of their peers. Sadly this isn't always the case and these children and people are bullied or looked at differently and its not fair.This Article explains that message perfectly and should help send the message that we should all be supportive of these people and not outcast them but embrace them and their are some people like the one in the story who will speak out against every one to stand up for what is right.I really enjoyed reading this article great job keep it up.