Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

“A hui hou kakou” by Karel E


       “A hui hou kakou” translates into “Until we meet again”. This past summer, I spent a week and half in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I went with my parents, my grandma, my two cousins, and their parents. I initially went into this vacation thinking it would be just that: a vacation. When in reality, I took away more than I ever could have expected. We stayed at the Hale Koa, which is a military only hotel, directly on the beach of Waikiki.
            Right when I landed, I could immediately sense the contrast in atmosphere between Waikiki and Los Angeles. The air was humid, and just the scenery overall was filled with beautiful shades of pinks and purples, contrary to the endless gray buildings and even grayer smog filled air I left behind at LAX. Though it all seemed very different at first, Waikiki is generally the biggest tourist filled location of all seven islands of Hawaii. Yes it was cleaner, and prettier, but in my opinion it was just another LA, with sidewalks full of people and commotion rushing to get to their destination. That is until me and my family ventured off away from the city, and deeper into the heart of Oahu. We drove down along Hanauma Bay, where the only things you see are miles of green mountains to your left and the blue of the Pacific Ocean to your right. Not only until we were miles away from the city, did we begin to see the true culture of Hawaii. Roads were moderately clear, with no one even daring to drive faster than 40 miles per hour. This, we came to learn, is what locals call “running on Hawaiian time”. A store keeper told us that in Hawaii, no one is ever in a rush to do anything or get anywhere. Something we Californians find completely foreign since we live in cities of stress, schedules, traffic, and consequential road rage. Driving down along the bay, I saw teenagers hitch hiking with their surfboards and complete strangers allowing them to ride along in the bed of their trucks down to the beach, which is something I personally, would never dare to do back home. I saw a homeless man receive a small amount of money and purchase a loaf of bread with it, which he shared with the birds on the beach. It’s almost as if the locals in Hawaii all have a mutual respect for each other and their surroundings. It’s their culture to be kind and compassionate, generous and welcoming to everyone they come into contact with. This trend in character was something in the atmosphere so clear and evident; you could feel it almost as much as the humidity. Walking down a street without exchanging smiles and hellos with strangers was nearly impossible. I spent the next week and half in a dreamlike state, eating amazing food, falling asleep on the beach, getting to know locals and tourists, and basically absorbing as much paradise as I could with my family.
            The one thing that sticks out the most to me from my trip was the kayak tour I took with my cousins down Hanauma Bay. It was me, my two cousins, four strangers, and two tour guides, Keenu who happened to be a native of the island and his partner Stephanie, who had been living here on her own since she was 15. We paddled down the bay (which is much harder than I anticipated), periodically taking breaks during which our tour guides saw an opportunity to tell us the history of the island. I learned how the main island of Hawaii is essentially an island making factory and all of the islands that make up Hawaii today will eventually move underwater and be replaced by new islands. I learned how to find land if I’m ever lost at sea by using things such as turtles and clouds. I learned how and why Hawaiians have a distinct look and body type. Keenu captivated the entire kayak with his words and stories. He regretfully told us how, due to so many tourists moving into Hawaii, one day a Hawaiian won’t be able to be defined by “the same brown skin, black hair, and dark brown eyes” that he himself has. With my newfound knowledge, I developed a deeper respect for the island and its people.
            My trip was coming to an end. I had my last Hawaiian shaved ice. I paddle boarded down Waikiki one more time. I had the local musician at the café in the hotel tune my ukulele again before I headed off to the airport. I said my goodbyes to the island. Once I landed back at LAX, my surroundings were quickly replaced with the reality I left behind. I got a headache from the smog. Things likes Kim Kardashian naming her baby North West once again became what was important to people. I missed Hawaii already. I missed the scenery and the people and the food and the culture. And it was in that moment that I knew my goodbye wasn’t really a goodbye. It was more of a “see you later”. “A hui hou kakou” or “until next time.”

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything about this post is just..UGH. SO BEAUTIFUL.

I didn't realize how much of a great writer you are! You wrote so precisely, with so much eloquence, and your organization was on point. I wish I could just bullet point everything I found great in this piece, but I can't. Also just so you know, reading this story counts as the first time I've ever commented past the required 3.

Okay, first off. I absolutely loved the beginning and it's contrast/connection with the ending. I loved how you ended the story on a positive note after writing about how sad you were to leave Hawaii.

Secondly, I loved what you wrote about the lessons and experiences there. Your piece is a satirical essay in itself. Hawaii seems like a paradise, literally. It seems like perfection to me. It's like humans over there just don't know how to be corrupt. It makes me so jealous of you because not only did you "vacation" in a beautiful area, but that beautiful area seems to be filled with beautiful people. I also found it really amusing that Hawaiian time means we can run on our own time or slower than American's busy time. I know I'm always late for things because I'm stressing out about something last minute, or too many things are occurring at once for me to keep up with. It's nice to know that there is a place that actually exists where you don't have so many worries. It's like Bob Marley's song come to life.

I hope one day I can afford to travel up there and be able to experience this for myself. Hawaii does seem to be like a beautiful place. And it seems like being there has inspired you or changed something in you? Or maybe it just opened up your eyes to something you realized before, and then solidified your insticts after. Either way, I feel that Hawaii seems to offer so much value and it's a shame that they believe it could all get tarnished because of all the tourists. Let's hope that it stays as beautiful as long as it can.

The only way I got all of that perspective is through yours. I think this is my favorite personal reflection by far. Not just because of the message you incorporated, but just the way it was written is fantastic already.

Please keep writing or something. Keep literature with you somehow? IDK lol. I just see so much potential in you. You seem to be so well-spoken, and I actually feel like I learned about society and some life lessons just because of this piece.
Great job, Karel. (:

P.S. I hope that maybe you could live in Hawaii someday, it seems you love it there a lot to do so.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your use of imagery to paint the picture of Hawaii to your audience. It almost felt like I was there. The contrasts you make between California and Hawaii also help create what Hawaii is like. I was especially surprised by your mention of smog in Los Angeles. I had no idea that our pollution was that bad. I also liked how you wrapped up the story with your hook "A hui hou kakou". I thought it was very well done. Overall, I really liked your story!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this piece. Vacations can be fun, but what makes them the best is when you come back with knowledge and reminice. I went to Honolulu, Hawaii over a year ago and still miss it very much to this day. Hawaii is relaxing, and has a positive atmosphere. The people were beyond nice, and the food felt home-cooked. Not to mention, the shaved ice is amazing! This piece made me think back to my vacation.
-Leia S. period 6

Anonymous said...

Karel, this vacation sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii, and after reading this narrative I am ready to pack my bags and jump on the next flight out of LAX. I am glad you chose to talk about more than the beaches and the sand; your description of the Hawaiians and their culture added greater meaning to your piece. From what you wrote, it sounds like you left Hawaii with more than just a tan.

-Christina Tapia

Eva Chen said...

I have never been to Hawaii before, and after reading this piece, I REALLY want to go! Your description of the amazing, laid-back vibe of the island put me in the moment with you, and it seems like their culture is so much friendlier and relaxed than what we are used to at home! I finally kind of understand why Hawaii is "THE vacation destination"!

Eva Chen said...

I have never been to Hawaii before, and after reading this piece, I REALLY want to go! Your description of the amazing, laid-back vibe of the island put me in the moment with you, and it seems like their culture is so much friendlier and relaxed than what we are used to at home! I finally kind of understand why Hawaii is "THE vacation destination"!

Kayla Garcia said...

You are very lucky to have a trip to Hawaii. Not only did you get to relax out there, but you also got the chance to capture a glimpse of what life is like out there. I really liked how you contrasted the lifestyles of L.A. and Hawaii because it truly shows the reader how much of a paradise it is out there. One of my favorite parts of your reflection was when you described everything you saw as you traveled down Hanauma Bay. From the scenery of the bay to the images you made of the people, it was very clear to me that Hawaii has a completely different, a more mellow, lifestyle compared to L.A. I laughed when you described the L.A. lifestyle (particularly “road rage” and “North West”) because it is very true. Your entire trip seems very fun and unforgettable. Great reflection!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this. You're descriptions are so effortlessly eloquent and real. This hits home, for me and I'm sure for anyone who's had the opportunity to travel and explore other cultures and regions around the world. You're appreciation of the beauty you were surrounded in is so evident. The island of Oahu has just been added to my list of places I want to go before I die. Great job Karel!

-Danieh Abu Alrub

Unknown said...

I was reading this story at about 3 or 4 in the morning today... or the day prior? Whichever, but at that time, I was feeling a bit flushed from all the studying I purposely stayed up to do, and when I decided it would be good to read some story blogs, this immediately caught my attention. The title itself is already a hook, or more of a net, literally luring in thousands of fish.

Can I just say that this story is so great. It added so much warmth into my body, being that it's literally freezing at 3 in the morning. I really loved how the whole piece emanated such a positive vibe and optimistic attitude, just how one would imagine Hawaii would bring to a person. That basically ties the tone of your story to Hawaii, in which the tone basically displays the happiness and peacefulness Hawaii brings.
Your story was also very informative, in that you showed and described what the place itself is like and the people and their culture. You also executed this in a very descriptive manner, incorporating a lot of imagery, which helped to reader envision what your trip was actually like.
You are a very excellent writer; everything you did helped the piece "flow" nicely. Haha, get it? Flow? Hawaii? Maybe that was a bad joke.

Anonymous said...

I fell in love all over again. The summer before we started high school, I went to Oahu, and I have yet to feel such peace, see any beauty like it. You captured the beauty of the island amazingly and you did it with such ease, just like any Hawaiian would want. I laughed whenever you spoke abut California because all those stereotypes are true and I wish we were just as calm and collected like the natives of Hawaii.
Amazing job Karel!
Taylor Robles

Alexis Chiong said...

wow that was great ! the description you put in of the setting and people really helped me see it clear in my head. Great work! -Alexis Chiong period6

Mathew Trevino said...

This was so beautiful, like I really felt as if i was transported to Hawaii. It sounds like it was a great trip, hopefully not once if a life time! I really felt that sense of a different culture when you mentioned the speed limit on the highway, where no one goes faster than 40 mph. That little detail helped to really communicate how much of a hurry people here in California are in. The imagery was awesome, and only helped to reinforce my desire to take a trip to Hawaii!

Alexis Santiago said...

Karel, my goodness! I have always enjoyed your writings. From your tumblr posts to your hilarious tweets. This story reminded me why I love them so much. You are truly a gifted writer. While reading this I felt as if I was transported into Hawaii, going along these journeys with you. You reminded me of my trip to Hawaii many years ago and how effortlessly beautiful the island is. The line that really hooked me was, "We drove down along Hanauma Bay, where the only things you see are miles of green mountains to your left and the blue of the Pacific Ocean to your right." This line just seemed to cast a sudden feeling of nostalgia within me and I was craving to read more of your story. This was a beautiful piece. Amazing job

Serena Jordan said...

This was really eloquently written Karel! I loved the way you described the also here and scenery, it sounded so refreshing and put in your shoes-- almost a stupor. It's also nice to hear how their culture differentiates from ours, because I get sick of hearig about Kim Kardashian as well. I also really loved how you tied in the "A hui hou kakou" back into the end; it gave the piece a comforting finish. I'm definitely trying to go to Hawaii now, because that mess sounds bomb. Great job!

Daijah Outley said...

Wow this was really good Karel ! I've always wanted to go Hawaii and you explaining your experience and the people there just makes me want to go even more. I wish the people here were more friendly and inviting like those that you described. Even though I really liked the entire piece, the best part was when you included Kin Kardashian's naming of her kid. Although it was funny its sad that in reality that's what people focus on instead of being like those in Hawaii and the well being of others

Neha Quraishi said...

Oh gosh, after reading this piece I seriously want to go to Hawaii like tomorrow! Your descriptive details and imagery made it seem like I was on the vacation with you! I always heard you speak of how much you miss Hawaii, and now I know exactly why. I love the way you described the unique Hawaiian culture and why it's so important to you, it really opened up my eyes to many things which I was not previously aware of. You have an amazing way with words Karel, you should definitely write more often. Love you!

Unknown said...

Hawaii sounds like a great place to go to. It really is filled with great culture and people. At this event I went to over the summer with people all over the US, I could always identify the people who flew in frm Hawaii. They have this aura and energy of soothing serenity and a quaint happiness that made them stand out from the crowd. The way they live their lives is fascinating and sonethng that many of us don't have the fortune to understand and appreciate. This blog post helps us get closer.

Tamsin Tilford said...

This was a beautiful retelling of a story! You are a very fantastic writer. I understand you're feelings towards Hawaii as I, myself, have grown to really respect and cherish the people there after an amazing visit. I really enjoyed you're story, it was so professional and I could also sort of hear your witty humor in it. Great job!

Akelah Adams said...

I've heard from many different sources that the natives aren't usually nice to tourists, but your story negated all those remarks. I loved the imagery you used throughout the story and it makes me really want to travel there one day. I like the bit of humor used at the end with Kim Kardashian and her baby, as well as the tidbit about the smog - that is a major distinction of California is the smog. Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you do get to visit again!

Anonymous said...

While reading, I imagined this the way you would talk to me, so it was written with your own personal touch. I loved this piece, I definitely was able to picture every detail you described. The humidity, the colors, the roads, were all described so specifically that I painted your whole story out in my head and it made me feel like I was there with you. Your piece overall had such a beautiful meaning to it, it made me really wanna visit Hawaii and experience it myself. Your piece also sounded so genuine and you sounded like you were so at peace and happy as well. I want you to tell me more about it when we talk. Good job Karel! :)
-Alyssa Che

Michelle Millan said...

Aloha Karel!
This is some legit publicizing of Hawaii. I feel like this should be on one of those where-to-go travel brochures. Seriously, anyone who'll read this piece would want to drop everything and just go to Hawaii. Great job detailing every aspect of Hawaii that truly makes them one of the most visited tourist spots in the world...your piece did Hawaii justice! Awesome job!
Mahalo!