Pages

Friday, April 28, 2023

"Big Fly" by Riccardo G


As the sun began to set on the field, I stepped up to the plate with the bat in my hands. The stands were silent as I had just recovered from injury and nobody in the stands, not even my parents, expected anything to happen. I didn’t even think anything was going to happen, since I just came back from injury. However, I took a deep breath and focused my attention on the pitcher’s hand, ready to analyze the ball’s spin and just put the bat on the ball. With one swift movement, the bum on the mound released the ball, and I recognized the spin watching the grip and the laces. It was a heater about chest high and on the inner part of the plate. I swung my bat as hard as I could, in baseball they call that a daddy hack, and connected with the ball with a hit that echoed throughout the park. The parents erupted into cheers as the ball went soaring through the air, soaring towards the homeless man that wanders around behind the fences. As I realized that I actually hit the ball I went into a full sprint towards first base, each step propelling me closer and closer to the glory that I didn’t expect to achieve. The outfielder scrambled to reach for the ball, but it was too late. The ball had already doinked the homeless man in the head about a hundred feet past the fences, and I continued to sprint with excitement around the bases. The parents in the stands were uncontrollable. It was as if I had hit a home run, wait a minute, I did. Holy crap I hit a home run, as I’m sprinting around the bases I see my teammates flooding out of the dugout and my parents jumping for joy, and subsequently passing out and falling over, fun times. I was filled with a sense of pride and accomplishment, I had done something that I knew I could only do once, which was true I never hit another home run. As I crossed home plate, being dog piled and greeted by my teammates, I beamed with joy, When I was walking back to the dugout I knew that I could never do that again, which is why I keep that baseball in my room, forever to be treasured. Now as I look back upon this experience, I just wonder how much of this story was true.

No comments: