Pages

Monday, January 29, 2018

"Title I Will Come Up with Later " by Varsha H


Never in my life would I willingly write a piece for a blog. It’s just not something I’d do. I dislike writing, and I am not necessarily one to share my open thoughts.
I realize this isn’t a good thing.
 But I can’t help it.
On one hand, I’m stuck on my own thoughts as if I was having pretend conversations with myself. On another, I find myself more captivated to listen to the words of others. In a current world so noisy, everyone wants to be heard. They all scream their opinions in hopes of being louder.
I could never do that. I am much too socially awkward to even get up and blow my nose in the corner of the classroom.
These people care about something though. So strongly so, they abandon their self-doubts and become vulnerable to a world of eyes and ears. They say things that need to be said, and do things that need to be done.
This I can admire. I care for things too.
Like my grade for example.
And so true to that, I write this with my honest effort, because that’s what needs to be done. As for what needs to be said, that’s subjective to what you understand.
I however appreciate those who took the time to “listen” to my voice in this case.
And so, it begins. (disclaimer: no real names will be used as I describe these people. I also do not refer to anyone who has attended or does attend our school).
I remember from the second grade being a very active child, quite the opposite to how I am now. I had an okay group of “friends.” (more like terribly awful children whom I had no choice but to socialize with because they were my age at the time). We had our fun. I would only ever hang out with them during afterschool day care hours. I liked Bertha the best, she was that seemingly nice but as fake as vegan meat friend. When I sat on Humberto’s head by accident during a rousing game of cops and robbers, she was among the crew that gave me the silent treatment.
I did not appreciate this Bertha. (I apologized as soon as I sat on him! The silent treatment was so petty.)
It was an innocent accident, like so many other incidents in our childhood years. Half of the arguments I had with my “friends” were discarded as useless information. Yet some stayed with me like that silly moment.
One thing I never knew though was how those seemingly futile moments could impact us for the rest of our lives. Bertha and Humberto taught me how not to get heated up over little issues. But Bartholomew, a mere acquaintance, exposed me to a different truth I could never comprehend at that age.
Bartholomew was a skirt chaser. Literally. I remember as a second grader running away from him multiple times. It was innocent fun, like a game of tag. All the girls liked the attention. It was the era of cooties and crushes. Receiving that attention from a guy made you feel special, because he “liked you.” It was commonly known that Bartholomew had a specific crush on me. I never knew why as a child I felt validated by that fact. But I did know one thing about how I felt when Bartholomew said those incomprehensible words:
“I only like you when your hair is straight.”
Hurt. Imperfect. Unworthy. Unattractive.
That’s what the “me” in the past would have felt.  I say “incomprehensible” because at the time I didn’t understand the true meaning behind those words: “I don’t like who you are.”
Yet – the “me” right now would however say: “************ Bartholomew”
And I would repeat those words to anyone else who thought the same.
I don’t feel it’s necessary to put my point into words for you. That’s more work on my part. But it’s clear that I don’t allow you to make any drastic conclusions.
I don’t hate Bartholomew. He’s just my central character who I thought would best reflect my point. Of course, there are plenty others who represent my case. But Bartholomew was a funny looking kid, who said dumb things.
In a current world so noisy, everyone wants to be heard. They all scream their opinions in hopes of being louder. While I think it is important to listen. It is also important to block out nonsense. Not everyone is worth hearing, and not everyone has something valuable to say. Certainly not Bartholomew.
As a kid, I wish I understood this before it took such an effect on me.
But I’m glad I can come to terms now with it now.


15 comments:

Unknown said...

I find your piece very interesting. You were very descriptive of every event and I can really hear your voice here. I like how you told a story of your childhood but it added to a greater idea of how our society works. Great job!

Lauren Elizabeth Wright said...

This was definitely one of the more unique pieces I've read on the blog so far. As someone who wasn't particularly prone to writing a blog entry either, the beginning stuck out to me, and as I kept reading, I found myself relating more and more to the points you made. Very well written; good job!

Anonymous said...

First can I start off by saying that you are in fact a really great writer who deserves to have her voice heard. THis piece was so entertaining and well written and well thought out. I absolutely loved the lesson behind it and love how relatable it is to everyone these days. I could clearly imagine everything in my head. Great work!

Unknown said...

Varsha, as a fellow big-haired girl I completely understand comments from people just like Bartholomew who hope to show their appreciation, but don't understand the bigger implications of changing who we are on a basic level. I appreciate the statement that you made at the end of your blog comment: Although people want you to hear their opinions, sometimes you shouldn't listen

Taslima Ahamed said...

YAY Varsha!! I really like how you put the very real version of you into this blog and also i am so proud when you said "I don't allow you to make any drastic conclusion" because he actually doesn't have any right to tell you who you are and how you look because everyone is beautiful. Thank you so much for your writing, i really appreciate it.
-Taslima Ahamed
-Per 05

Anonymous said...

Your writing style in informal but simple and unique. I felt like I was having an 1 on 1 conversation with you and can relate to your life experiences. Through my academic career I've had people belittle me and take advantage of my character. I had to find my true identity and stand up for myself like you did. Thank you for sharing your personal stories and being you!

-Joseph Madere Period 1

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this because not only did you add a humorous flair to your story, its overall relatable! And your message at the end is so important for others to learn. Job well done of speaking your mind, it takes courage. I liked how you connected personal anecdotes of your childhood and used fine details to create an image for readers to see in your perspective. I also admired how in end you showed how it shaped your strength and made you a bigger person. A great way to inspire others!!

Unknown said...

I like how you used your title to help describe how you feel about blog entries and used that as a hook to keep the reader interested in your story. The story itself was very entertaining to read and pretty relatable to how we act now and probably in the future too. Keep up the good work!

Carly Soos said...

I loved how you used your unwillingness to write a blog to show how this topic was important to you and how you overcame not sharing your thoughts in order to share them with us. I understand the feeling of elementary school ridicule and how much it stays with you for years. I'm glad you got through it, because you are such an amazing person to be around.

Genesis Sayles said...

I loved the beginning of your story Varsha! I believed you were going to progress with that for the rest of the story, but you surprised me and I'm sure with other readers as well. I loved how you switched it up and gave us a glimpse of your childhood. Learning about the growth you've developed from then to now is tremendous. Obviously everyone changes, but learning about the way people treated you and how you stick up for yourself now is crazy! Just remembering literary moments in English and the stories you and Morgan would always have about how strong and fierce you were (AND STILL ARE) compared to little 2nd grade Varsha is a story I think everyone should hear. So thank you for allowing me to read and hear your wonderful growth and evolvement.

Andrew Brown said...

Your piece was very enjoyable and I absolutely agree with the message that you presented us of how not everyone is worth listening too. Thank you for writing a blog event though it seems as though you hated every second of it.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved reading this and the final message was beautiful ! You told this story very well, in a way I believe really accurately captured who you are as well as the story. And though it’s quite silly how little things that are said and done when we’re younger can stick with us and live with us for a long time; I agree that they can have a part in who we are and have an impact on who we become.

Unknown said...

I found it interesting how your informal style of writing closed the rhetorical distance between you and the audience. It made it seem as we were in your conscience. Your story was very interesting and unique. Good job, Varsha!

Anonymous said...

I most definitely enjoyed this. Your writing was informal, as if you were writing this piece in a diary, or having a conversation with someone who was intensely paying attention to you and not saying a word. The message at the end is something everyone should keep in mind, as people spew words at us throughout out lives regardless if it's good or bad. We, as in ourselves, have the decision to either who is worth listening to and who isn't. Great job!

Unknown said...

I was captivated immediately by your title and you kept my attention throughout the entire piece so you are definitely a writer that needs to be heard. I felt the same way as you when I was younger and your transformation describes mine as well. I appreciate how you used different examples from your life to show that some words don't matter but the ones that do are worth listening to. Great job!