Pages

Monday, January 29, 2018

“How to Make My Grandma’s Homemade Apple Pie” by: Brett D


         With the start of the new year, why not start off the year with a smile on your face that you can enjoy with your friends, family members, anyone! Enjoy some of my Grandma’s homemade apple pie and you will fall in love, crispy crust, fresh apple slices, and thoughts that will make you want more and more. What better than being able to make your homemade apple pie that will enlighten the mood at any event, whether it be Christmas, New Years, etc. Let's be honest no desert will displease anyone. With simple and ease you could have your pie hot and ready in a matter of 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. Trust me you will have everybody coming back for more.

Ingredients needed:    
            Crust:
  • One 9-inch tart crust, homemade or store bought its your preference
  • 1 tablespoon butter

            Apple Filling:
  • 2 pounds of apples, they can be Golden, Granny Smith, etc.
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg

Topping:
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 stick butter, preferably room temperature

Step 1: You first want to begin by preheating the oven to around 350 degrees Fahrenheit. The reason due is because you want to have the oven already preheating while you’re getting the pie ready. That way once you are done you can immediately place it right in the oven without waiting. How convenient, I even recommend listening to music to allow time to pass faster.

Step 2: Next you are going to work on the crust by molding it into your pan. For starters you want to get your pan and mold the tart crust into the pan, then cover the crust with tin foil. Next place uncooked beans into the pan evenly. The beans will help give your pie the perfect mold.  Once this is completed you are going to bake your crust for around 20 minutes, just to the point where your crust is perfectly browned. After the crust is browned remove it from the oven and allow it to cool. You can now also remove the beans and the tin foil and spread butter on the interior of the crust.

Step 3: Now you are going to be working on the filling of your soon to be fantastic pie! First begin with slicing and removing the cores of your apples. Once all of your apples are cut and ready you then want to place the slices in a ring pattern. I find it easier to go from the outer edge and then work your way towards the center just because it helps with making sure they are placed evenly.

Step 4: Get your bowl, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon and nutmeg and you are then going to mix all of the them together. After you are done mixing them pour it over your arranged apples that are in the crust. However, if you feel that this isn’t a lot you can double the ingredients to fit your needs.

Step 5: In a separate bowl, take your sugar, butter and flour and blend them together. This should result in a mixture that is short of clumpy.

Step 6: Bake the tart from 30 to 35 minutes, doing this will soften your apples. When your apples are soft you then want to remove them from the oven and then use your sweet butter topping and coat the top of your pie. You can also add a little more cinnamon onto the top of your pie and egg whites which will give your crust a softer crunchy texture instead of a super soft texture. After you applied your topping place it back into the oven until the topping has crusted which should take about 15 minutes. Following you just want to take it out of the oven and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes and then you will be good to serve your delicious apple pie.

            Finally, you can now share your new skills with your family and friends at any occasion. However, you don’t just have to do apples you can use any fruit of your choosing but, the best ones to do it with are cherries, peaches, and apples because who doesn’t like those. To even add a better experience, serve this dish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to your guest and they will for sure love your pie.


40 comments:

Dylan Nelson said...

My grandma is notorious amongst the family for her cooking aswell, and I bet she’d give this one a try. Hoping we can do as well as this sounded in your piece. Thanks for the recipe.

Sachin Reddi said...

I've always loved Apple Pie but I never knew how to make it. I've always ended up just buying pie, but now I should be able to make it easily. Your how-to was extremely simple and easy to follow. Overall, great job with this post!

Unknown said...

Amazing recipe! The rapport you build between yourself and the audience by the use of your Grandma is something truly noteworthy. Apart from the clever use of ethos, your recipe is absolutely unforgettable. Great job Brett!

Janae Stowers said...

I love how detailed the steps are. You will not get lost trying to follow the steps. This recipe sound good. I like how you gave suggestions about the different kind of fruits people can use and if they want to add in anything into their pie.

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to lie...you had me at crispy crust. In all seriousness, the intro gave the recipe a personal feel that most can relate to. Great Job and I might try this recipe out!
DeAndre Siringoringo P.1

Anonymous said...

Apple Pie is the staple American dessert, which I love to eat. My mom loves to make desserts and this recipe is easy to follow. I like the intro to the recipe on why you chose Apple Pie. Good Job!
DeAndre Siringoringo P.1

Eddie Avila said...

I need to try this ASAP because I LOVE apple pie. You did such a great job displaying emotion in this piece and really paying homage to your grandma great work! Thanks for putting in your advice and letting the reader know what should happen because I am not the best baker.

Unknown said...

Apple pie is one of my most favorite desserts, however, I always end up buying store made pie because it seems so complicated to make. But your blog post clearly outlines how to prepare the ingredients and how to make the pie. I also enjoyed how you said the recipe is from your grandma because almost everyone trace back a recipe from one of their family members. Thank you for sharing this recipe for apple pie with us!

Unknown said...

Oh my, I love apple pie and I always look for recipes that are easy enough for me to understand, because I can't cook to save my life, but I can never really find one. This recipe and direction, though, is very easy to follow and understand. Thank you for sharing your grandma's recipe! I definitely will be trying it out myself.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe Apple pie is our favorite type of pie and I can tell form this recipe it will be so help full to make it in the future absolutely great job David Ekelem Per 6

Avalon Freeman said...

As soon as I read the title the first thing that came out of my mouth was “Ah I love apple pie”. I had to come and give your blog post a read. I love to bake but I can never find an apple pie recipe that satisfies me. Im 100% going to give this a shot. I always feel like older people know how to make good food and or bake because theyve had experience. I like how you explained the reasoning for every direction.
Avalon Freeman
Pd. 2

Anonymous said...

I love Apple Pie. With this How-To, I'll be able to make it and not buy Apple Pie all the time. It is very simple to follow and I enjoyed this. Good Job!

Eric Duong
P.4

Anonymous said...

Great job Brett! I have never been a huge fan of store bought apple pie and now have an excellent sounding recipe to make whenever I have the chance. I look forward to trying it, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Katarina Shieh said...

I LOVE apple pie, and I've always wanted to learn how to make it by myself. I'm well-known in my family for making great peach cobbler, maybe I should give your pie recipe a try! I'll be sure to keep this in my back pocket for the summertime.

Anonymous said...

This was an amazing recipe. I'm so accustomed to just buying apple pie that's already made. So now thanks to your recipe I should be able to make it easily. Once again, great job!-Adrian Arteaga Per. 1

Anonymous said...

I literally have all of these ingredients for this recipe! I loved how easy and thorough these steps were. I can’t wait to make this.
Alaijah Solomon-Jackson
Period 4

Unknown said...

Mekka Johnson February 11, 2018 at 11:22pm
A-P-P-L-E Pie. YUMMMMM. I can just smell the apple pie through my computer screen. I really loved your steps, they kept me wanting more. and more. and more. It was king of funny how you stated why a step had to be taken. "That way once you are done you can immediately place it right in the oven without waiting," because people like myself when I cook I want it to come out and be prepared fast. The blog was sentimental because you must really love your grandma's apple pie, I mean who wouldn't if it sounds like it is this delicious. Your use of visual imagery is what caught my attention. I think I want to try your grandma's apple pie.

Unknown said...

Apple Pie. Everyone's Favorite. Your tutorial seems very simple and seems like a desert recipe i'd like to give a shot. I like how detailed your steps are, it will come in handy when i give this a go. Good Job.

Unknown said...

This entry reminded me of my Grandma and the apple pies she used to make. It's unfortunate though because now all she ever does is buy the pies and boy can you tell the difference between home-made and store bought! Great stuff Brett I'm surprised she told you her secret recipe.

Jacob Blandino said...

Good job Brett! I thought that you gave very good detail in describing how someone can make your Grandma's homemade apple pie. I found it interesting how you offered this recipe but also encouraged people to make it and serve it however they want.

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE apple pie!! When I saw that there was a recipe for it on the blog, I got super excited. Your recipe was super easy to follow and simplifies the whole baking process. I'm definitely eager to try your recipe.

Anonymous said...

Apple Pie is my favorite pie of all time, and this recipe seems great, especially for first timers since it is super easy to follow. Thank you for sharing your grandmothers recipe.

Ikwaak Dhillon said...

Thank you Brett for making this how to on apple pie. Out of all the flavors of pie, apple is my favorite but whenever I try to make it it turns out really bad. The way this recipe is organized makes it seem as though it is really easy to make and just the right amount of ingredients can make the pie very delicious. Do you think leaving the tart in the oven for longer will make the pie crispier and taste better? But other than that I think I am going to go to the store and buy all the ingredients to make what seems to be a delicious pie! Once again, thanks a ton Brett!

Mikaela Sillano said...

Apple pie is literally the only kind of pie I would eat, and your homemade recipe got my mouth watering! Great job in adding detail to each step. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Raymond Williams said...

This is well descriptors and I may use this recipe sometime later. I cherish those memories I have when i would make German chocolate cake with my grandmother. Thank you for sharing.

Joshua Duque said...

Thank you for sharing this delicious apple pie recipe. The amount of detail you provided within each step sets me up for success by how easy it is to follow. This dessert is definitely something I'm looking forward to make in the future.

Debrina Collins said...

You had my attention at homemade apple pie. I personally love apple pie and I’m glad that you could tie it in to your family to make it personal and more meaningful. The instructions were easy to follow and I will definitely be trying this if I get the chance.

Unknown said...

Apple pie is definitely the best dessert of all time, and from all of the apple pie recipes I've encountered, this one is by far the most simplistic one that seems to have an impressive outcome. I definitely look forward to making this recipe for my family, or just to practice my baking skills.

Unknown said...

Brett, I would like to thank you for providing a homemade recipe for me as I have never had apple pie outside of McDonald's. This gives me something to try at home when I am bored and I am sure that it is authentic because it is grandma's. Great topic selection.
-Kessler Edwards

Alfred Antee said...

Thanks so much this recipe is great and easy to follow. My family is full of avid pie eaters and I can't wait to try and make it for them using your grandma's recipe.

Unknown said...

My mom and I love apple pie and she'd be super happy if I baked this for her! Every time we go to McDonalds (super unhealthy lol) we always get apple pie bars so I bet this recipe will be way better than the fast food apple pie. The steps are super easy to follow and I'm excited to try this :)

Katie Yee said...

I absolutely love Apple pie and your how to explained everything so well. I really am interested in making this because your instructions seem very easy to follow. Good job! Im forsure going to try this sometime

Unknown said...

This sounds so good! The instructions are really clear and are really easy to follow. I really want to try this. I really like apple pie, so I'm sure I'll love this!

Unknown said...

This is such a delicious recipe, I can't wait to try this out! I appreciate how the majority of ingredients you listed are ones that people usually have laying around the house so the readers interested in making this don't have to go out and buy too much. It's a comfort food that they can always have on hand. I love how you also suggested alternative ways to make this pie so people feel free to be creative. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this apple pie recipe for almost a century! Your Grandma's homemade crispy crust and fresh apple slices seem amazing. Can't wait to use this recipe! Nice Job!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love apple pie! Your blog gives such an easy to follow guide on how to make that even people are completely cooking inept (just like myself) are able to make a delicious apple pie. Great work!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely my favorite pie! This blog gives everyone a simple guide to follow which is perfect! It looks so yummy too, great job!
-Eliana Rodriguez

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely my favorite pie! This blog gives everyone a simple guide to follow which is perfect! It looks so yummy too, great job!
-Eliana Rodriguez

Megan Radford said...

Apple pie is by far one of my favorite desserts and this recipe seems so easy to follow along. It sounds just as yummy as my Grandma's pie she makes. Great job!

Anonymous said...

you go into great detail and explanation of the ingredients and the preparation for the apple pie, it sounds like it would taste amazing, thank you for sharing this and giving us the knowledge of how to make a apple pie.