Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

"She/Her" by Chrissy L

4 years ago, I made a friend named Aden.

 

I met Aden amongst the flowers of a meadow one spring afternoon, that time where the sun glowed brightest and the birds sang their lovely, quiet tune of song. Aden greeted me with curiosity and I, with starstruck eyes. It was almost impossible to believe that a human could possibly look the way Aden did. 

 

Lean and tall in stature, Aden bore soft looking, wavy locks that resembled the night sky at midnight, covering just enough of the nape but stopping before the ear. Aden’s eyes were slightly concealed by what seemed like loose bangs, but were just enough to allow me to see the dark and alluring orbs staring back at me. Right below, followed a straight and well-defined nose with pink-colored, plush lips. The sun’s rays gave Aden a sparkling glow against skin made of olive. 

 

I gave Aden a soft smile.

 

3 years ago, I invited Aden to an outing just a few streets from my own home.

 

It was a get-together of people I hardly knew, the need for a familiar face becoming more apparent as the social anxiety kicked in. Aden got out of the parked car and came in, briefly glancing over the crowd before meeting my eyes, where I waved in excitement and relief. It was no mystery that Aden had caught the attention of most of the party-goers, who, just a few years older than me, had distinctly more defined features, cat-like eyes, and a sharp jawline. My friend walked towards me with such grace and poise, hands inside the pockets of black slacks, adorned with a white, unwrinkled T-shirt tucked in, and black oxfords. I felt my breath leave me.

 

Aden was beautiful.

 

2 years ago, I witnessed Aden cry for the first time. 

 

We dedicated a day free of school schedules to go shopping at a nearby mall not far from our neighborhoods. Aden's style had started to rub off on me, one of sophistication and resemblance of dark academia. I was very used to wearing brighter colors, short skirts, and delicate dresses, which was the opposite of what my dear friend wore. Aden was understandably much more mature, an intelligent and hardworking student who had recently started college and lived alone. I, on the other hand, was much more naive and dependent—a nervous sophomore who hardly knew anything about the real world. 

 

Aden helped me choose and pick out starting pieces, basics necessary for a new transition in style. We went back and forth, one moment we’re in the women’s section and in the next we’re back at the men’s. Aden and I had a lot of fun choosing different options with countless variations. 

 

Once we were both certain about our picks, Aden led me to the changing rooms right across from the store we were in. We were greeted by a woman who worked behind the desk needed for check-ins. She handed me a number and pointed at the assigned room in which I eagerly headed towards. I opened the door and turned around, only to find Aden not behind me. Confused, I rounded the corner where the woman was guarding the entrance to the women’s changing rooms. Before her stood my friend, Aden, looking distraught and deflated. Judging from the woman’s body language alone, I was able to tell that she was giving Aden an earful. 

 

“Is there a problem?” I asked timidly, approaching the two. The worker turns around and glares at me. 

 

“Tell your boyfriend that he can’t go in with you.” She scolds. The noticeable way Aden flinches breaks my heart. 

 

I shake my head angrily. “Aden is not my boyfriend. She’s my friend,” I emphasize. 

 

The woman only scoffs, looking to the side in disbelief. “You teenagers think you’re smart,” She turns to glare at Aden. “Boys are not allowed inside the women’s changing rooms. Simply just wait outside or leave the store.”

 

Aden’s body turns stiff, mouth in a straight line indicating distress. “Ma’am, I am a girl. I’m in the right section, so please let me through.”

 

“Well, you sure don’t look like one,” the worker spits out coldly, still guarding the entrance. I feel a gasp involuntarily leave my mouth as my heart completely drops. 

 

Aden quirks an eyebrow. “Excuse me? What do you mean by that, exactly?”

 

“Take a look in the mirror! You dress like a man and expect to be addressed as a woman?!” She yells in frustration. 

 

“Clothes have no gender, miss,” I snap. “What gives you the right to judge the way she chooses to present herself?”

 

The woman groans. “I know for a fact that normal girls don’t look like this,” she sneers at Aden. “You’re clearly confused. It’s not my fault I thought you were a man.”

 

The atmosphere had then turned cold and clouded. In a fit of rage I discarded the clothing I had in my arms and led my friend out of the store as quickly as I could. I remember her stoic expression and blank stare very clearly as we exited the mall and into the parking lot, something I was not used to apart from her usual bubbly self. It wasn’t until we were fully situated in the car that Aden broke into tears, hands covering her face shamefully in the driver’s seat. A part of me had nothing to say but everything to say all at once, but my mouth refused to move as I looked at my friend in shock.

 

‘I’m sorry,’ she chanted over and over again, and my heart died each time she muttered it.

 

1 year ago, I lost contact with Aden.

 

The pandemic had hit, and from there on everything changed. She and I lived our separate lives, school was starting to become more demanding on both ends, and naturally, we drifted apart.

 

But at the same time, we grew closer. The value of our friendship never left. Aden taught me courage and strength in a world that constantly pushed us over. And for that alone, I am eternally grateful. 

 

This year, I will become her. 



“Unless we base our sense of identity upon the truth of who we are, it is impossible to attain true happiness.”

- B.S.

 

29 comments:

Taryn Andazola said...

WOW! I really loved this piece because it showed the true hardships people can go through when dealing with gender identity. I'm so sorry that happened to you and her in the dressing room, but I'm so glad you stood up for yourselves. Thank you so much for being comfortable enough to share this piece with us.

Anonymous said...

This is so powerful! I'm so sorry you and her had to go through that. I wish people knew what effect comments like this have on others. Gender identity can be such a difficult process and you are both so strong for having gotten through this. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

Zhenwei Gao said...

Chrissy, this is truly a beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing your story and experiences. Standing up for oneself can be so difficult but I am so glad that you were able to find your true self. Best of luck!

Jaylene Del Vaal said...

This is such an important piece and I'm sure that many other people would feel honored to read it. Thank you so much for sharing and I'm so very sorry that you had to go through something so stressful. I'm so very glad that you found your happiness AND your friendship grew closer, You two deserve it very much!!

Unknown said...

This piece is incredible. Defying oppressive gender norms in the eyes and minds of the present-day is no easy feat. I feel so much admiration for those who embody the courage that it takes to truly be themselves in an environment that might be unwelcoming to such confidence and truth. This was an incredibly well written piece and I loved how you wrote it in first person but kept the focus on another subject. Truly unique. Thank you for this piece and I love the authentic and real image that both you and Aden project. Very inspiring. -Evan Nguyen

Luvly Lopez said...

Chrissy this piece was is beautifully written and thank you for writing about such a personal experience. Your writing appears so effortlessly beautiful and the imagery you use is amazing, I feel as if I can see the characters or I'm reading a novel that is introducing the characters. Also thank you for essentially bringing awareness to such a crucial topic such as gender identification because people don't realize the impact their assumptions have on individuals.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Chrissy this piece was absolutely amazing. i loved every single second of it. I am so sorry that that happened to you both, but you did an amazing thing by standing up for you both. Thank you so much for sharing! -gisselle flores :)

Madelyn Mejia said...

Wow I loved this! This story was so beautifully written that I found myself entranced and wanting to keep reading. It's horrible that anyone has to experience something such as this and I'm so sorry you yourself had this sort of encounter. But I think you did a wonderful job in engaging the reader and triggering emotion because of descriptive you were :).

Joelle Lock said...

This is so, so well written. You perfectly captured Aden's heartbreak in the moment. This type of encounter happens way too often, but people don't often talk about it. I'm so glad you stuck up for Aden though. You're such a great writer and even better friend!

Enrico Del Rosario (he/him) said...

Chrissy bestie...I currently have tears in my eyes. The moment I saw the pronouns as the title and your name right next to it, I knew I was in for an emotional roller coaster, but a beautiful one, nonetheless. I thought it was extremely clever how you excluded pronouns or gendered terms in the first part, then included them after the evident shift. I am so sorry that your friend Aden, and anyone who has ever had to undergo such an experience, was deprived of "normal" human decency. No one should EVER have to go through that. Most importantly, no one should EVER have to apologize for who they are, especially when it is nobody's business...I know you've drifted apart, but I hope you are able to reconnect, especially because things are starting to open back up! :D If not, I am so glad you were able to learn and grow from your experiences with her and use that to keep being the positive force of change to make the world a better place :) Luv ya💕

Emily Folkner said...

Chrissy this piece is truly fantastic! I am so sorry to hear that the both of you had to experience such an awful encounter, I simply cannot understand the constant need for other's to criticize someone for the way they choose to express themselves. I admire you for standing up to that rude woman and for bringing attention to the damaging effects of gender norms and the societal pressures to conform to one. Thank you for sharing this story with us!

Anonymous said...

This was amazingly written! You captured every moment and emotion perfectly. I'm so sorry you and Aden had to go through that, she doesn't deserve to feel the way that lady made her feel. This is such an important topic and you did a wonderful job to bring awareness to it.

Anonymous said...

This piece was so well written! It is so heartbreaking to hear what Aden had to go through, and I admire how you stood up for your friend. It´s disheartening to hear that just by the way someone dresses, impacts the way they are treated. Thank you again for sharing this story.

Kailee Mark said...

Oh my gosh, I'm absolutely in love and in awe of how you portrayed such a significantly emotional topic in your relationship with Aden. You used such powerful imagery and conveyed that heartbreak so profoundly, I was on the brink of tears. I love your writing style, and how you addressed that gender norms are just a social construct, but they continue to warp people's perceptions of identity and impact those that defy them. I have such great respect for you and your dear friend, and I'm so sorry you both have lost touch. I hope you get the chance to reconnect soon. <3

Andrea Cazares said...

Thank you for sharing this, it is such an important issue that needs to be addressed. I'm so sorry that you both even had to experience this. No one should ever have to feel the way Aden did that day but I'm sure Aden appreciates how you stood up for her. You both deserve all the happiness in the world!

Nicole Lillie (she/her) said...

Chrissy, this post was so powerful! I am so proud of you for sharing this and I am so sorry for how that woman treated you and your friend. No one should ever be treated that way. It shows your power and confidence that you stood up for your friend but you shouldn't have had to. I've never experienced it on this level, but as a queer woman I have dealt with many snide and horrible comments on the more masculine clothes I wear from those who should simply respect and accept me. I know how much it hurts when someone invalidates you and the people you care about. I hope that you and Aden are able to reconnect as this pandemic ends, and I hope neither of you ever let anyone stop you from being your most authentic self! - Nicole Lillie

Jonathan Recomanta said...

This was an excellent piece on identity. The juxtaposition of the desired with the current was nothing short of incredible. If it demonstrated anything it was humanity. Without a doubt the concept of identity, let alone gender identity, is complex and difficult to reconcile with, but it's beauty lies in its inherent nature to our being human. These are ideas which we must all have to confront not for the sake of happiness, but for truth, honesty, and to undeniably be ourselves. Amazing writing.

Unknown said...

Chrissy,
This had me hooked from the very beginning till the end. I love the way you formatted your writing and the style was very descriptive and entertaining. Im extremely sorry for what you and Aden had to endure; thats completely awful. It will always be mind boggling to me how people get SO BOTHERED by things that literally don't affect them. Like who cares what clothes we wear? It's none of their business. ANYWAYS beautifully written.

Angela Carnalla said...

This was so beautiful. I loved it and how you described your experience in such great detail. It made me feel as though I was there experiencing it with you. I love how you portrayed the struggles with gender identity and I hope your friend is doing better as you guys deserve the world! -Angela Carnalla

Dianna Villasenor said...

Chrissy, I absolutely loved your piece. It brings up the most important part of society: identity. I am amazed at your growth, and what you were taught from such a precious friend. Although, I do apologize for such an experience, I am happy you are grateful.

Arabella Bautista said...

Chrissy, this piece was incredibly well-written. You conveyed both your and Aden's emotions so powerfully, it would be impossible not to feel anything whilst reading this. You are a remarkable writer, you kept the reader emotionally invested the entire time. It was like we were experiencing those events in real time, alongside you and Aden. Thank you for sharing!

Seyi Alli said...

Chrissy this piece seriously made me tear up wow. Thank you for sharing you and your friend's experience I'm so sorry that happened to her. I also want to thank you for shedding light and awareness on gender identity.<3<3<3

Isaiah Garza said...

I loved this piece. From start to finish this was beautiful in the structure, in the countdown of sorts with the years, in the refusal to put pronouns in the first half, in the misdirection. I love this story. it truly teaches a lesson of judgement. Your description, the fact that your friend has a traditionally "boys" name and wears "boys" clothes and has "masculine" features only drives home your point of not judging people. Your piece preaches strength and acceptance. Your last line is perfect. I understand you don't want to be your friend exactly but you incredibly admire her as well as i do just from reading this story. I think everyone should try to become her in some way. Well done.

Katelyn Orellana said...

WOW IM BLOWN AWAY, this was so beautiful and your writing is so artistically amazing. I love this so muchm the emotion and the impact you have is so >>. This should be in a museum.

Jesse Ortiz said...

Wow, absolutely powerful. This topic is such a prominent issue that the rest of society believes that objects such as clothes, makeup, etc. have to conform to the societal gender roles. This portrayed the pain that so many people experience on a daily basis due to these horrible gender social constructs. Those who chose to embrace their identity for who they are so brave, and it truly makes me happy to see people be who they were meant to be. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Jesse Ortiz

Emily Berdeja said...

Beautifully said! It cannot be said enough! Thank you for sharing your perspective on something so commonly looked over. Thank you for sharing!

Janelle De Dios said...

This was so beautifully written. The word choice and composition was well-thought out, and I was fully engaged to the end. I'm sorry you and your friend had to endure that. You are a great friend for standing up for her. Thank you for addressing the issues people face when trying to express their gender identity and I hope you and Aden are doing good!

Anonymous said...

Chrissy, this piece was so incredibly well written and impactful in so many ways. I didn't even realize you were avoiding the use of pronouns in the first half until I read it again and it made the piece that much more amazing. When you stood up for Aden, it gave me chills because of how terrifying and infuriating that must have been for her and how hard it must have been for you to watch her be so invalidated by someone that's ignorant. This was so well written and I loved the way you used adjectives to draw the reader in over and over again and I hope that you somehow find a way to reconnect with Aden as things go back to some sense of normalcy. Great job! :)

Anonymous said...

I love how you didn't intially reveal Aden's gender, it really shows that the traits that she has can be found in both genders, and that it is ultimately her choice to use whichever pronouns she desires!