Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

“47, chirp, chirp” - Jennifer K


The last summer I had to myself was the one right after I graduated from eighth grade.
This might seem strange, because we all go on summer break, so I must have had one, yet I didn’t. While I was away from school, I wasn’t at the same time. Each summer following the one after my freshman year, I had the honor to be apart of this experience that would shape the rest of my future. I was one of the three people at my school to be accepted into a program at Pomona College. Seeing the little amount of acceptances from my school, I was indeed afraid of what was to come. I was going to be devoting four weeks of my summer vacation to a school I had never been to, people I had never met, and things I had never experienced. I wouldn’t see my family for six days out the week, and I had never been away from them for that long. The point of the program was to give us insight on what it would be like to be a college student, which didn’t sound too fun, but my parents forced me to do it anyways.
            I remember distinctly walking into the lounge area of the dorm . It was filled with people in red shirts running all around, families with so many bags as if their child was going to be living there forever, and a line full of desks. While I stared in awe, not knowing how to react, I was swiftly shoved to a table next to me that had a sign that read “Registration”. I was handed a name tag, a room key, and a red shirt similar to the ones I had seen previously. Each table I went to I was met with a huge smile, bright eyes, and upbeat voice. Just when I thought things were done, a sudden flash blinded my view. Someone had just taken a photo of me and before I could even say anything, the next person anxiously waited for me to move so they could get their photo taken. As I stepped away with my parents, I finally felt as though I could catch my breath. This was short-lived, as I was met with a T.A. who was eager to show me to my room. I was relieved in a sense because I knew that in my room, there wouldn’t be any chaos. As I got there, I set my belongings down, shut my door, and just laid on my bed. I stared at the ceiling, asking myself if I should really follow through with this program.
            Later that day, I had to say farewell to my parents, which was new for me, and then I met with my T.A. group. All I can say is, it was the most awkward experience being surrounded by teenagers who didn’t do anything, except stare. I scanned the group, looking for a familiar face, until I found one. Her name was Ezinne, and at that point in my life, I had only known her from school, but latched onto her as if we had been bestfriends for years. Our group played several icebreakers, until we got tired of trying to get to know everyone.  Our T.A.s led us back to the lounge, where we were greeted with pizza; lots of it. That day, our T.A. group fell into a food coma, and the night ended with watching Big Hero 6 in a theater at the school. I walked to my room, closed my door, and laid down in bed.
            Fast forward to this past summer,  I experienced everything once again, yet this time it all felt so different. Already having two years experience in the program, I was eager for summer to begin because I knew I would be heading to Pomona college. I entered the lounge, to find an empty room. This was because I was going to be helping with registration this year. The color for this summer was grey, so I put on a grey shirt and got to work, placing tables in their correct areas. As soon as registration began, I was running around trying to help as many people as possible. I greeted families who looked like they were all going to move in.  I lightly shoved new students to the table that read “Registration”, greeted everyone with a big smile, bright eyes, and upbeat voice. I stood behind the camera and yelled “CHEESE!” before blinding students with the flash. I ran down the halls in excitement, as I showed new students to their dorm. I made sure they got situated and chuckled when they would say a quick thank you and abruptly close their doors. After saying farewell to my parents, I met with my final T.A. group of this year. I scanned the group once again and my heart grew big as I was greeted with so many familiar faces. The faces of people I had grown to love in just three short summers. As soon icebreakers started, it was hard to stop. We played all the way until we made it back the lounge, greeted with the wonderful scent of pizza. Once again, my group fell into another food coma and ended the day watching Hidden Figures at the theater. Afterwards, I walked to my room with my roommates, Ezinne and Cori. We caught up with each other about everything that happened the previous school year. As I grew sleepy, I went into my room, closed my door, unpacked my belongings, and laid down on my bed. I stared at the ceiling, asking myself why these past three summers went by so quickly.
Looking back, the most I had ever cried was on July 14th. To some, that holds no particular meaning, however that day changed my life forever. I remember it being a day filled with tears; many tears. Those tears spoke of sadness, happiness, and thank you’s all put into one.The day I dreaded so much, came in a sudden motion, and I couldn’t do anything except let the tears flow, just as my peers did. This day I forever hold dear to my heart, is the day I ended my summer program at Pomona College. I learned so many things about myself during my time at Pomona College. That others had similar struggles as I did, and that there is good in this world. I gained confidence in myself and learned that I am a boss and should be treated as such. I realized that college isn’t a such scary thing after all, since I’ll have a whole program supporting me throughout the whole process. Also, I realized that I am so ready to graduate and go to college.That day I closed the door on my time at Pomona, but know that I simultaneously unlocked something even better.

34 comments:

Unknown said...

Jennifer this was such an inspirational blog post! I remember you telling me about how you got into PAYS and how you had such mixed feelings about it, but now so thankful for that opportunity. I really enjoyed reading this piece because it showed me your perspective on this honored opportunity and how you slowly grew to value it so much. Thank you for sharing this because it really shows us how just one life experience can open our eyes and inspire us to make change in this world.

Anonymous said...

This piece is such an eye opener as to how fast life comes at us. One day you're a timid freshman and the next day you're an excited senior waiting to be off to college. However, the experiences in between will never be forgotten, as displayed in your writing. I enjoyed the structure of this piece and how you grew as a person throughout it. I loved the repetition of the part when you first walked into the room of Pomona College, but it was through two different perspectives: you as a first-timer and you as one of the people in the red shirts (though you had a grey shirt). I'm happy that you enjoyed your "college experience" all those summers because now you're prepared for the real thing. New and greater doors as well as opportunities are opening up for you and I cannot wait to see your success in life.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is such an inspirational piece. I like how you conveyed an experience of personal growth that carries a motivating message in the end. You had a great use of imagery in which I could feel the awkwardness with you during your first stay at the college. I'm glad you shared this event in your life because it has motivated myself to not be afraid to try new things, as it will many others! - Nadeen Magsambol

Anonymous said...

I really want to thank you for writing this. It helped show me that no matter how nervous or excited or scared you are to do something for the first time, everyone else was like that once, too. It comforts me how you were able to become friends with an amazing group of people after such a chaotic day and that you were able to share that experience.
Carly Soos

Anonymous said...

I love how your post brings to life the true scariness of going off somewhere new with brand new people and having to basically start over, as many, if not all of us, seniors are going off to college next year, just to experience the same thing you did. Your post and your story helps for others to realize that new experiences, such as going to college, are not scary at all, and once it's over, you'll wish you had more time to spend. This post sends a great inspirational message to everyone who reads it, including myself, and you should be proud of that. :)
-Carianne Lefebvre

Avalon Freeman said...

This piece was so touching. It's so relatable, coming to a new place that ends up becoming a huge part of you. I could tell how much it means to you and you showed it through your writing. I started to tear up because there was so much emotion and passion.
Avalon Freeman
period 2

Taslima Ahamed said...

This is a story where i can relate myself to the most.I went through the same situation, when i first moved here from my country.Each details of your experience at the new place,saying bye to your parents,face new challenge of making friends and all. I moved here in California, back on 2014 during July and that was the worst period of my life. Because i had to leave my family and friends, a place where i spend the most of my favorite time and going to believe that i have to spend my rest of my life in a new country with new language.I was really scared of the obstacles i knew i had to face too. At the same time, i learned a lot here too, i went through the struggle of making friends too, communicating with people. But we always come up lifting ourselves up like you did and like i did. So thank you so much for this blog post, it gave me a good flashback.
-Taslima Ahamed
-Per-05

Unknown said...

Jennifer, I can really feel through this piece your passion for the PAYS program and I really admire you for sticking through it despite your initial hesitation. Your story helps us realize that new experiences don't have to be incredibly daunting but can rather be seen as another step forward in our own personal growth. Good job!

Chris Anisi p.5

Jacqueline Espinoza said...

This was a great piece to read because i feel like you gave a story that many can relate to, it can bring so much nostalgia, and it was so fun to read!

Unknown said...

This reminded me of my retreat at church where I had to leave my family for three days and go to the mountains with everyone that was in my Confirmation class. I bet your experience was beautiful because mine was as well! I met different people and bonds were created with my group. I really liked reading about your experience, Jennifer.

Anonymous said...

This is a great story! I like how you tried something new and even though you were scared, you still pushed through. I relate to your story so much because Iv'e gone on mission trips and vacations without my family and I would be nervous on what was going to happen. I'm going to Arizona in a couple weeks to a college that I'm interested in and I hope the right people will be there and I can have the same great experience you did.
-Joseph Madere Period 1

Anonymous said...

This made me realized how fast life is moving for all of us. It just seems like yesterday we were all scared little freshmen walking into high school wishing high school would end right after the first day of school. It really sucks how we're already seniors getting sent off to college. Life goes on, but the experiences that we experienced sticks with us. I'm glad you have gotten a chance to enjoy and experience the PAYS program. I can sense how much you loved the program and how much it impacted your life. Thank you for sharing your story with us!

Anonymous said...

This was a great self reflecting story to share with the world Jennifer. It really sheds light of teh subject to try new things, and to not be scared because you won't know how much you'll like them. And it also touches on the phrase "you never know what you got until it's gone" overall it's a great story.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer I really loved reading your piece and getting to see what your college experience was like. Reading the change from your first summer to your last was very relatable and it had me thinking about how I was my first day of high school compared to the first day of senior year.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this story. Due to the imagery you had, it made me feel like I was in that situation. It felt like I was there to see you grow as a person and gain the confidence within yourself. This was definitely an eye opener on how things fly by so fast and that these events make us who we are today. Overall, I loved it. GOOD JOB Jenny!

Unknown said...

Jenny, your story captures the essence of change. Events like these have happened to many of us, ESPECIALLY in the last four years and how entering these new chapters in our life can be extremely overwhelming, yet in the end tremendously rewarding, and we have way more to come! This story made me realize that change is a natural part of our journey into adulthood, and although it'll be terrifying at times, it should be accepted and embraced! This hits very close to home, but I just absolutely loved it! Thanks Jenny, this was a great story and I wish you the best in life!

Jocelyn Rangel said...

Jennifer thank you for letting us know about this awesome experience. It just goes to show that sometimes we need to try new things. You did an amazing job in describing your experience. I've also experienced the same feelings when having to do something new.

Unknown said...

Jenny, I loved reading and visualizing your growth throughout highschool in this piece. You did a really good job foiling your fears as a freshman into your accomplishments as a senior. I really liked how you made this piece relatable to many of those who are going to go through a new stage in their life as well. Good job!!!

Unknown said...

Wow! This was such a nice written piece with lots of visualizations and emotions. I love how your younger self was awkward and shy like many of us but you were able to turn into someone with so much confidence and eagerness to move on to your next chapter in life. Great job Jennifer!

Anonymous said...

Amazing Jennifer! I remember seeing this event on your social media this past summer and seeing you and Ezinne having such a great time. I want to thank you for writing this post because as our high school journey comes to an end we must be prepared to take these kind of opportunities and to make the best out of them. I hope you have made the best memories, great connections and also I hope you have encouraged others to take new life changing opportunities. - Sabrina Gonzalez

Unknown said...

Great job Jennifer :D! This post is very inspirational to a person who has moved around a few times and had to make new friends a lot. Being able to place yourself in a new environment and make new friends takes courage which is something we'll all need once we head off to college or start working. Overall, a great inspirational piece that shows the importance of courage.

Maya Berdeja Period 1 said...

I enjoyed all of the amazing sensory details that you used to create an image for the reader. I felt like I was living through you while reading your piece. Your story was about something that we could all relate to as high school students and I think that is what captured the attention of all of your readers. It was to beautiful to read how you have grown as an individual.

Bezawit Abraham said...

Jenny, I loved how relatable this piece was . Growing up I feel like we've all experienced this with different situations. I really liked how you used vivid imagery it made me feel like I was there with you experiencing it all. I'm glad PAYS had such a huge impact on you.

Brianna Icamen said...

Amazing job Jennifer! Your story gave me goosebumps just reading it because I realized that high school has flown by so fast and it's almost over. I've heard many stories about PAYS from water bottle flipping to the late nights, but I never really heard stories like yours where you've grown from confused your first year to being the one to help the confused ones. I can tell that PAYS really meant a lot to you and it's really amazing how you were able to create a family with those people. I absolutely loved how you were able to make your story come alive as if I was there experiencing it with you. The emotions you brought out in this story were an amazing touch and they felt so genuine. Great job!!!

Unknown said...

I don't usually read about experiences in college, so this was something new to me. As a senior myself just about to graduate, I am curious and nervous to see just how different my life will be after this year and I must say that your story expresses one of the most heartfelt experiences I've ever read. I could imagine myself feeling what you felt and see all the details of your time during the program at Pomona and I am just as eager as you to try something new in life. It was just a great piece that you shared with all of us.

- Justin Presto Per.1

Anonymous said...

You did such an amazing job telling your story! You know how to get readers hooked and you know how to use sensory details so well for the reader to know what to imagine. Such a unique story. Congratulations on your success !!

Anonymous said...

At first I thought you'd write about band but finally seeing what your experience at PAYS was like is fascinating. Your development from an environment in which you don't really know anyone and being in a whole new place to a happy atmosphere in which you're now comfortable is lovely. I'm happy with all you've done and are going to do and loved reading your story.
- Marcela Morelos Pd.4

Andrew Brown said...

This piece was so well written that by the end I was almost in tears myself. I wanted to commend you on that ability to basically change my mood just with words. I also very much enjoyed reading your story in the fact that it kept my attention and craving for the next word. Very well done Jennifer.

Unknown said...

Amazing job Jennykirks! I'm very proud of you for getting accepted into the PAYS program back in freshman year. I really enjoyed reading your story and by the end it felt like I have been through the program as well and felt sentimental for leaving it. This story really opened my eyes about how time really does fly by.

Unknown said...

Your story made me realize how fast we're all growing up. I felt as if I was right next to you, experiencing your same experiences with the way that you wrote your narrative. I've seen how hard you've worked. Your narrative makes me even more proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer ! You really inspired me ! I am actually nervous to go to college and this helped me to be less scared ! I like how you were talking about that you wanted to help people and you wanted to be the boss. I just want to say I took this to heart so thank you !! Great job

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful work about your experience in this program. It made me wish I had the opportunity to be in a program like that. I loved how personal and open it felt and how you shared your entire journey, benefits and all with us, the readers. Great read.
-Elaine Molina

Justin Ramirez said...

After reading this, I got a little envious of not being part of such a cool program. Your descriptions of what happened are vivid and heartwarming, and its really cool of you to share such experiences. Perhaps I didn't get into the PAYS program myself, but I can get a decent idea of the social upbringing it has from your post.

Anonymous said...

Great story I think its important we remember the times we've had in the past in order to better our futures. Our time on this earth may be limited but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Without separation we wouldn't feel the way we do about the people we care about. Sometimes the tears are a good thing because your truly are grateful for the time you spent with the people you love. Again thank you this really got me thinking about my future as well as how it will relate to my past.